• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you do with bunny poo?

buda

Warren Scout
Does anyone recycle bunny poo?

When we were little, our bunny hutch had a tray underneath so all the poops fell into it (we didn't use hay for litter). Dad would empty the tray of poop into the vege garden. Did wonders!

Nowdays though, we have house rabbits so they don't just poo into an empty tray. There's hay and newspaper in it and I'm yet to be dedicated enough to separate the raisins out of the hay and wet newspaper. If we had a compost, I'm sure it would be wonderful in there, but we don't, so it just goes to landfill.

So yeah, back to original question, do you use your bunny's poo?

I was planning on getting a compost'er for all the poo/old hay/newspaper and stuff - does anyone else do this?

We're very lucky in that we can put all of the buny waste (and litter) into the garden recycling bin, so it's all going to be composted somewhere!
We did have our own composter, but we live in the countryside, and it attracted the rats :(

I'd love to have a compost but we're renting and moving out at the end of the month to a house with a 6 month lease. Since a compost takes about 6 months to set up, it's not really worth it.

We're very lucky in that we can put all of the buny waste (and litter) into the garden recycling bin, so it's all going to be composted somewhere!
We did have our own composter, but we live in the countryside, and it attracted the rats :(

Rats eat bunny poos!? :shock:

Nooo! Well, I don't think so anyway :?
We tried to compost everything, that's what was attracting them, I think.

I separate everything out as best I can and compost the poos and megazorb. They hay goes in the green waste at the tip.

Although lately my 4 compost bins are full so I have advertised the poos on Freecycle and that gets collected bagged up for a chap's compost and the zorb and the hay goes in the green waste.

All of the used newspapers (unless they are totally disgusting) go in the newspaper and card bin at the local recycling centre.

It's a bit more work but I just can't face chucking it all in black bags to go in landfill.

You could advertise it on free cycle :)

I was wondering the other day if it's okay to put poop straight on the garden or you have to compost first? We've got some patches without much in the way of plants (e.g. under our conifers) that wouldn't hurt to have a bit of fertilizer added.

I'd imagine that we'd need 2 or 3 bins to keep up with our 2 buns. You empty a compost bin once every 6 months right?

I freecycle mine, or if no one wants it I pay a guy called Charlie to come and get it

I was wondering the other day if it's okay to put poop straight on the garden or you have to compost first? We've got some patches without much in the way of plants (e.g. under our conifers) that wouldn't hurt to have a bit of fertilizer added.
I sweep the rabbit poo from the lawn straight onto the flower beds, and is fine as it breaks down very rapidly and is't acidic so it won't harm ypur growing plants. The litter tray content(megazorb and poo go into our compost bins or into the green waste recycling one.

I compost as much as I can ( more in Summer as it breaks down quicker) but the tip gets the rest.

I've got a plastic compost bin that I bought from the local council. Because it's a big plastic tub with a lid it doesn't attract vermin

One of my best friends swears by bunny poo as a good plant fertiliser, when I lived with him he used to push it into the soil in all of his house plants and swore that they'd never been so healthy. I've been known to have to take bags of bunny poo to people so they can follow suit!! He never composted it first, apparently the fact it breaks down slowly is what make sit so good. I've just applied for an allotment, maybe I should use bunny poo for my veg! :D

I've got 3 buns, the poo and bedding goes into the compost bin. The newspaper goes into the recycle bag and is collected by the council. Any wet/yucky newspaper gets torn up and goes into the compost bin. If you have an allotment like I do, all the poo and bedding is great for the veggies.
You can dig a trench, fill it with kitchen and bunny waste. Do this for a few weeks, then fill trench with compost. Plant runner beans or pumpkins/courgettes. No need for fertilizers and nasty chemicals. Lots of tasty veg! :p
Would also like to add that you will only get rats in the compost bin if you put meat/animal products and cooked food into the compost bin.:(

Back