• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny doesn’t go in litter tray

blueboy

Banned
Emmas new bunny McQueen is peeing everywhere in his cage apart from his litter tray. He had peed in one corner so she moved the tray to that corner. Now his apparently peeing somewhere else. Emma has also noticed he dose little drops of pee in different places. He doesn’t seem to pee in corners. She has ripped the wet peaces of news paper off and put it in his tray in hopes he gets the message but he just seems to sleep in his tray.

Is this because he isn’t settled in yet or because he isn’t neutered? I know that older buns are easier to litter train...maybe McQueen needs a little more time?

Takes a good 24- 48 hrs to start using litter tray in a crate. After 2 nights my 12 weeks old bun (at the time) was pooing and weeing completely in litter tray!

Sometimes 2 litter trays help. One to use as a litter tray,the other to sleep in. :D

Also if he is scent marking with urine and it keeps getting tidied up he may have to do it all again. I would try not to clean out for a few days if possible.

Maria x

When cleaning the litter tray, it might help just to plant a couple of poops in there so she knows what it's for.

Posted on behalf of friend:

He just will not use his tray. He has started to pee in corners a little more now but when I put the tray in the corner his peeing in he changes to the other corner. I have bought another litter tray today (a flat one) and Ill see if he uses that. If not then Ill try two litter trays, and if that doesn’t work I am buggered. I have wiped his pee up with tissue and put it in the litter tray along with his droppings to no effect. He is young and not neutered and I did read somewhere that it is more difficult to train. But his avoiding the tray (his now not even sleeping in it) so I hope he isn’t intimidated by it.

If he dosn't learn to use his litter tray is it possible to wash the filling of a vet bed as well as the cover? as his wee is soaking through to the bottom.

What does she mean with vetbed filling and cover? I only know the vetbed that looks like a rug.

What does she put in the litter trays? Mine get a thick layer of newspaper and on top of that, straw and in one corner hay to nibble on. They all have two litter trays, and usually one is used as a toilet, while the other is more of a resting place and hay nibble station.

What does she mean with vetbed filling and cover? I only know the vetbed that looks like a rug.

What does she put in the litter trays? Mine get a thick layer of newspaper and on top of that, straw and in one corner hay to nibble on. They all have two litter trays, and usually one is used as a toilet, while the other is more of a resting place and hay nibble station.

The one she gets is the £50 one from PAH. It’s like a quilt, and like a quilt has the padding on the inside.

I think she uses wood pellets, as she is unable to get megazorb at the moment.

Back