• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

spaying both together

Radish

Mama Doe
hi

in mid April my two rex sisters will be going to the vets to be spayed at the same time.

Having had Maisie spayed and her pulling her stitches out and being stapled and having to wear a buster collar,we took the option of having our buck fitted with a buster collar when he was done.....now my question is this......

when Moo and Blackberry are spayed will it be ok if they both have buster collars for a few days to prevent them removing stitches or will it cause problems because they are sharing a cage and they freak each other out by having the collars on?

i really don't want to risk removed stitches like with Maisie.

thanks.

Can you not take them to a Vet who is able to do internal sutures?

This is one Christobel made earlier!!

Picture175.jpg

Pic taken 2 hours after spay. There really should be no need for either Bun to wear a Buster Collar if internal sutures are used and adequate analgesia given.

Janex

Last edited:
When our boys were neutered the vet said that collars cause more distress that good so they went without. They had internal stitches though. Ask for that.

my rabbit pulled her stiches out too but i didnt have problems my vet used surgical glue maybe that might help in case they pull out stiches.

Can you not take them to a Vet who is able to do internal sutures?

This is one Christobel made earlier!!

Picture175.jpg

Pic taken 2 hours after spay. There really should be no need for either Bun to wear a Buster Collar if internal sutures are used and adequate analgesia given.

Janex

The vet who did Maisie did internal sutures and very neat it was too, you couldn't see a single stitch, he also glued it but she still managed to get the top of the wound open....now whether she actually chewed at the wound or flung herself about and got it open i can't say for sure but James is an extremely competent vet and he did a perfect job....he just wasn't ready for Maisie.:lol:

she didn't get the wound open until five days after surgery,lulling me into a false sense of security....i was shocked she had got it open at all.

buster collars were great for my two single buns and they didn't seem at all phased by them i just wondered whether it would be an issue with two buns in the same cage.

I guess i can try without and see whether they touch their wounds or not and take it from there.

Back