• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Your House Rabbit's Setup Pictures?

Kibbles

Mama Doe
As Starsky is *hopefully* soon to be a house rabbit, I'd really love to see some pictures of your house bunnies' set up. Is it best for rabbits to be on a hard flooring(no carpet) for easy clean-up? I can't imagine my mum's reaction to Starsky urinating all over the carpet :shock:

Depends on the size. A good friend of mine has just homed a giant breed and uses a dog crate. Having more then one floor will not do for big buns. The door is left open when they are around until he is litter trained and it will be open all the time. Otherwise his mostly free range.

newbunhome.jpg

I suppose with smaller buns you can make a cage using those NIC Grid things, and have more then one floor to save floor space.

Ooh i should've explained :oops:
Starsky is a Netherland Dwarf and will be living in one room of the house, of course with a cage. Thanks for the picture!

This was my old set up which worked really well as they had plenty of room when shut up overnight. Its too small for all day though without a pen attached.

cratesetup2.jpg

They are now free range in one room so they just have an underbed storage box underneath a coffee table which is full of hay and they sleep behind the sofa underneath the radiator, or flop out in front of the fire. Its a hard life :lol:

Regarding room flooring...hard flooring is easier to clear but some rabbits find it unnerving to walk on but I guess they'd get used to it.

Ooh that looks cozy :D
What I'm unsure about is that the cage I'll be using was originally used for rats, and so it has a wire flooring. Is there an inexpensive way of covering this up?

Not the best photo but this is one of my pair's set up, they're shut in overnight & the rest of the time they have the run of my room. The otehr pair have the run of the conservatory.

012-1.jpg

Hi,
How big is the rat cage?
you could always put vinly tiles over the mesh floor :)

Ooh noo, I'm done on tiles :D I tried getting those for my rats and couldn't find them anywhere, so now I'm just fed up with those :oops:
The cage is a decent size for a rabbit's partial home. :)

Depends on the size. A good friend of mine has just homed a giant breed and uses a dog crate. Having more then one floor will not do for big buns. The door is left open when they are around until he is litter trained and it will be open all the time. Otherwise his mostly free range.

newbunhome.jpg

I suppose with smaller buns you can make a cage using those NIC Grid things, and have more then one floor to save floor space.

Mine looks just like this :lol::lol: apart from its in corner or my bedroom, i keep the door open 24/7 for kizzy :D xx

How big is the Rat Cage...
I would consider a Dog Crate...

Mine Live outside but I will take this oppertunity to post their playhouse:
DSC00246.jpg

Anyway... Dog Crates have LOADS of room, and you van get them for a reasonable price at most pet shops:D

i have literally just finished rearranging my buns indoor set up!!!

im charging the camera so will take new pics later but for now this is my old set up.

CIMG0216.jpg

CIMG0218.jpg

they now have a den and other toys so i'll post pics later :)

Alvin and pearls home... ive made a few changes, the crate is now a 42" and ive made the pen enclosure slightly larger (total locked in size is 3.5 feet x 7 feet)..... the cat bed and vet bed now gone - pearl killed the cat bed and started chewing the vetbed, i now have an underbed storage box for the litter tray cus pearls a digger...lol

when opened up it blocks off access to the front door and ralphs dinner bowl other than that they have the whole downstairs when we are here to keep an eye on them :)

i would take a pic of it now but its half way thro being cleaned out

P101000111.jpg

Well, it actually basically is the size of a dog crate; Even the first time my sister saw it when I recieved it for my rats, she said, 'That's a dog cage...'
I would post the link to it on Ebay for the picture but they don't seem to be selling it anymore; Or I'd take a picture of the cage itself but I'd have to fully assemble it. :oops:

Sasuke only has a run. He's too lazy to jump anyway and his old cage was driving me mad:lol: (Pet shop rabbit cage, made too much noise when he bounced around on the plastic floor:roll: Also he never left the cage, and I was worried he wasn't getting enough exercize.
Strangely now that he's got almost 6 times as much room all he wants is to get out more:lol:
P1010006-1.jpg

I used to have a carpet underneath, but took it away because he was chewing on it. He walks directly on the carpet floor anyway:lol:

Rat cage?? :shock:

The vast majority of rat cages aren't big enough for rats let alone a bunny even if he is a nethie.
Plus wire flooring and bunnies is a bad idea as it hurts their feet and they can end up with sore hocks, sometimes they can even get feet caught in wire and break their legs. You can get self adhesive vinyl tiles and planks from B&Q, they're great plus they're cheap.

Don't worry about him peeing on the carpet as bunnies are very easy to litter train especially if you have a neutered rabbit. But hard floors are easier to clean if there are any accidents.

This is my set up,
dscf1099vx9.jpg

Though it now has a door, a divider to separate Otis and Nuggette whilst they're still whole bunnies. An extra litter tray up top instead of the plush bed. Vet bed on the carpet area, a tent downstairs with vet bed in, a play carrot patch. An extra food dish and water bottle, more hay racks, hanging hay balls. Rubber mats on the vinyl to stop buns from slipping.

Plus they spend over half their time out in the lounge separated by more grids from B&Q.

oks clean out done this is the love nest of my pair all lovely and shiney

P1010001-2.jpg

pearl showing me shes not happy at being locked out :oops:

P1010003-4.jpg

P1010002-3.jpg

and them checking its all still in order after i let them back in lol

P1010005-2.jpg

finally the veiw from the middle room where they spand all thier time

P1010007-1.jpg

not very human friendly i tell ya, nearly everyone who has visited has fallen over the fence :lol::lol::lol: (including me)

Back