• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bunnys and diy

ecudc

Warren Veteran
As some people may know we currently live in a retro seventies house which needs to be gutted on the inside. I was hoping to do this in stages but becuase we need to rewire I've found out we basically have to do it in one go because ALL the wiring has to be new and ceritfied before it is hooked up to new fuse box and the meter.

This is going to mean a lots of dust and exposed wires...not great when you have house bunnys.

I can obviously put the buns outside as we wont be doing this until later in the year but has anyone else done serious internal DIY work and come up with an ingenious solution which would allow us to keep them inside with us.

:lol:

Think putting them outside for the summer may be the best plan ... at least then they'll be settled and won't be disturbed/stressed out by noise etc. x

:thumb: I agree atleast they will be out of the mess and dust :D

oh dear.....perhaps I should knock a hole in the wall and attach a centrally heated shed to it so I don't get a cold little behind going to feed and play with them :lol::lol:

That is the problem with outdoor buns ... but if it's the summer it will be a good excuse for long evenings in the garden with a glass of wine! x

Is there 1 room in the house that can be safe from rewiring? Or at least that can be rewired first or last?

Maybe the bathroom or laundry?

We're in the middle of DIY too, not every room can be done on the same day so we're just moving them around a lot. My two live inside and cannot go outside as its too cold. It means they'll be having limited space to run around in but they're utterly spoilt for the rest of the time so I'm sure they'll cope for a few weeks.

I'm fostering two indoor piggies towards the end of next week for several months, they're going to live in the bathroom for a while as thats the only place theres space and no disruption - can your buns go in the bathroom, there'll be minimal rewiring in there.

Just thought of something else, buy them a summer house, use it for a few weeks while you're wiring the house, and then sell it on ebay. That way if the weather is pants (as lets face it this is england and we don't do summer very well!) they'll still be happy and warm, and you'll be able to go sit with them in comfort.

I think we will probably keep them in the house for as long as possible. They are currently in the utility room which will be relatively removed from the majority of the work but unfortunately because it has a flat roof at some point the ceiling is going to have to come off to get to the wiring. I think when we start on the ground floor they will almost certainly have to go outside as we will be taking off the back of the house so lots of escape potential. We can't put them upstairs as we'll be converting the attic so that ceilings coming off too :rolleyes::rolleyes:

unfortunately I think its going to take us more than a few weeks :lol::lol: I'll try and remember to take some photos tonight and you guys can have a chuckle.

Back