• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bingo obsessed with eating his poo and not much else.

Hi everyone,
i'm worried about my Bingo a small Lionhead bun. He's a little over a year old and recently, last month or so i've noticed that he's become a lot more obsessed with eating his poo. I know that rabbits will do this in order to extract all the nutrients but this behaviour is increasing and increasing and i don't know why.
Both him and Totts have the Burgess Supa Rabbit Excel food, which they've always had, fresh hay every day, some greens every other day or so, limited treats, fresh water every day and mineral & salt wheels, (which Bingo is particulary obsessed with). Totts has a healthy appetite but Totts is not interested in the mineral and salt wheels and very rarely eats his poo. Bingo, being smaller eats less pellets but more hay and more poo than anything else.
Bingo will also eat from the poo tray (which is cleaned every day), including eating the wooden pellets that you get from Pets at Home which they've both soiled. This worries me greatly.
I don't know what to do for the best.
One thing to add, when they both have veg Bingo eats like he's starved, Totts is a giant white but in no way can keep up with the Bingo who munches on it like he's never going to see veg ever again.
Is there something missing from his diet? Is there anything i can do to discourage this behaviour if this is bad for him? Could their be anything wrong?
He's a little sod behaviour wise but we love him dearly and don't want there to be a problem. Other half said to see if anyone else had similar experiences before i really panic and take him to the vet.

Jen x

I'd definately take the salt & mineral wheels out, they don't need them if they're getting a good varied diet :)

Hi Gem,
thanks for the reply. I just worry that he's obsessed with the mineral wheels because he's not getting enough from his diet, would buns lick/eat these even if their body didn't need it?
I put the salt one in on a recommendation as he overgrooms Totts eyes and thought that it might detract from the saltiness of Totts eyes and give him a bit of piece.
I'd definately give it a go as long as i knew his body didn't need it.
I'm a first time bunny owner and over protective mum! I just want to do what's right for the pair of them.

I don't use Salt wheels personally because it can become like an addiction to them, a bit like humans get addicted to say nicotine :)

How is Bingo doing with the overgrooming of Totts eyes?

It won't hurt him to take it out for a while and see how you go. :)

I'm a first time bunny owner and over protective mum! I just want to do what's right for the pair of them.

I know you do and its good that you're asking so many questions :D

Edited Take a look at some of these links :D
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=93005&highlight=Salt+Licks

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=85451&highlight=Salt+Licks

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=55284&highlight=Salt+Licks

:D

Last edited:
Hi Gem,
right that's it they're both coming out, no wheels anymore. I had no idea it could become like an addiction, we just thought he really needed it. Bingo really goes to town on them, he'll have a drink, reach up, (we have them suspended for a bit of exercise), and lick like mad then have another drink and go back again.
Poor little sod, he'll feel it when i take them out as he's always had them, sorry Bingo Bango, it's for the best.
I must admit since the salt wheel has been in he does still focus on grooming Tottie's eyes. I just can't get him to stop, Totts is so good natured he just sits them moving his head from side to side to avoid the constant attention but you can tell that Bingo's nipping. The fur is clearly flattened and it looks like he has panda eyes because the fur's short around his eyes. The vet said that if Tottie's eyes get sore or red and inflammed that i'd have to seperate them but to be honest they love each other so much that it would be seriously detrimental to both of them if i did that. (They're both boys if that make any difference, both were sexed wrong when i got them and different times).

First time I've heard of bunnies using salt and mineral wheels. None of my rabbits have ever taken an interest in them. :?

He he he!! They both love the Parsley Bell, it never lasts more than 2 days when i get one! I will try the other types of wheels though, it might be a good substitute.
I've taken both the salt and mineral wheels out for the time being. As they're both house buns in the winter i can keep an eye on Bingo and make sure that he's doing ok without them.
He wasn't too pleased though, as soon as i took them out he started picking up his toys and throwing them over his head in a huff, they make me laugh!
They've got a load of toys, balls, willow balls, sticks, cat toys, cat scratching post etc so i hope that Bingo will be able to find something else to focus on for the time being.
Thanks for the advice, hopefully i won't be starting a thread shortly saying, "bunny rehab, how can i make it easy!!".

Maybe he's just a bit bored and grooming totties eyes make the time go by? It might help giving them more space, more toys like cardboard boxes, branches etc :D

Hi Ida,
i think we both posted at the same time! They have got tons of toys, hubster's always telling me off for coming home with more!
I don't think he's bored, at least i hope not as he's always playing around and when they come out in the evenings they're always binking around chasing each other round the lounge and through their tunnel before settling down and pulling up the carpet until i tell them off and they bink around some more!
I'm going to try and get more inventive with home made toys in the hope that will help them both, Totts is happy just to come up and give you a nudge for some loving or if you're reading the paper just jumping up on the sofa for some love but Bingo is more cautious and isn't happy to be handled. He does get lots of cuddles but on his terms on the floor sometimes he even reciprocates and gives me a groom!
I hope the eye situation improves as i'm running out of ideas. I did have a plant sprayer that i used to quickly squirt at him when he was being naughty but he knows that he's doing wrong as he binks away before throwing himself to the floor in a dead pose i just wish he would behave himself, for Totts sake.

Didn't see your post, sounds like they have enough to do :roll: Perhaps he will benefit from clicker training? :D

Do you put hay in the litter tray? Buns like to eat and poo at the same time. It might be why he's eating the wood based litter.

Hi Ida,
ooh, clicker training, i'll have to find out about that one, i'll definately give anything a go at the moment. For Totts sake more than anything else, sod the carpet that can always be replaced but Totts eyes can't.
Ecudc, hello, in answer to your question i don't have any hay in their poo bucket, i'll give it a go and see how they get one.
The only downside that i see with that one is that they used to have a digging box which was the base of a huge hatbox my mum got for our wedding and i filled it with hay and straw but they then started doing all their business in there and i had to throw the box away as their wee was damaging the bottom and getting close to the carpet. I want them to have a digging box again but i want to get them out of the habit of using it as a poo box. If i were to put hay in their poo bucket would it encourage them to do this?
I will try it in the short term though, no worries.
Thanks everyone for your responses, everything has been really positive and i don't feel like a bad mum just a new one that's all!
:rabbit2:

put something else in their digging box like organic compost, play sand or shreded paper. Pooping and hay/straw is like strawberrys and cream.....they go together.

Back