• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are rabbits good children's pets?

Veronica

Mama Doe
Just reading a few threads over the months, and noticed how this question often comes up. The majority of us hold strong views that rabbits are not good pets for children.
I've been thinking about this, and putting the question in certain contexts....I actually believe rabbits do make good pets for children.

For starters...how many of us had pet rabbits when we were children? From this experience, it has led us to become the rabbit owners we are today.

Owning a pet is a great experience for a child to learn vital responsibilities whilst growing up....which then that child can translate into future responsibilities...one of which being eventually caring for their own children.

I believe that the statement 'rabbits don't make good pet's for children' is very generalising. Rabbit's don't make good pets for children who's parents are not actively involved with caring for the rabbit(s) and/or children..being more fitting.

My parents were always very actively involved in helping me care for my rabbits. The rabbits were called mine, however, they were cared for in a very much 'shared' role.....with my mum and grandma guiding me throughout (both themselves had rabbits when younger).

So from my own experience, yes, rabbits do make excellent children's pets.....in the correct context, when parents/family members are actively involved as well.

Just my Sunday morning ramblings :p:lol:

I'm actually slightly offended when people say they aren't good pets for children; Although I think I must be an exception, as I find myself a lot more mature and concerned when it comes to rabbits than my friends that have them, seeing as I'm eleven.

I think it depends on the child, really. :)

ETA: Just re-read your post and wanted to add that my mum doesn't help care for the rabbit at all except for when cleaning out the hutch. :)

I'm not too sure on this one, I find that especially younger children can be quite loud around rabbits, and want to 'pick them up' and 'hold' them all the time. I find it uncomfortable when my 4 year old nephew comes round and wants to 'cuddle' my rabbits and I feel bad when I say no. But I think its in my rabbits best interests. As long as they are supervised I think its ok though but I find that they can often get bored with rabbits as they may not 'do much' after a while. But having said that, thats with younger children, older ones may be ok I guess, depends on a number of things!

But as you said it depends on context, family participation etc so maybe in some cases they are good pets for children!

xx

I think they make great pets with supervision. I would never leave a child with a rabbit on there own. They could be a danger to each other. :)

I feel really on the edge when my cousin (8) comes round and wants to stroke and pick them up...

Because he strokes them really hard, So I stop him and he gets mardy...

They dont like to be picked up anyway.... so he gets me really angry:censored:

I think rabbits more than other pets are not really suitable for kids because:

If a child is to assume full responsibility for their rabbit, they require regular litter changing and cleaning out of hutches. This is a messy job, frequently done in the cold and the wet and children will often get bored. Cats don't require the same level of attention and dogs would have to be walked accompanied by an adult anyway. So in that way both cats and dogs make more suitable pets. Gerbils and hammys also need cleaning out but not quite to the same extent (and you obvously wont freeze you :censored: off going out to feed them twice a day)

Rabbits are pray animals and are not usually as keen to be picked up and handled. If they kick out they could damage the child and if dropped in a non rabbit proof garden, may be lost.

Saying that, if a child knows how to handle an animal properly and what the grounds of acceptable behaviour are then I see no reason why you can't have a family pet as long as you are prepared to accept the fact that you may have to end up being responsible for it, especially if the child is young (i.e under senior school age)

I think it may well be good for a child to have pets, due to the reasons you mentioned, but I don't think rabbits are suitable for this role as they're high strung animals and not easy for a child to handle. I would say a dog or cat are better pets for children, maybe rats and guinea pigs too, as they're easy to handle.

Im 13 (14 in two weeks YAYY)

But my mum still helps me with round about everything...
Like cleaning out, Litter, food, water, grooming, walking (leads)

She is great!:D

I think rabbits make excellent family pets but not good children's toys. Parent's buy rabbits as pets for children under 5! Then are surprised when they get bored of them.

There is also the misconception that a pet will teach a child responsibility. Kids learn responsibility from watching their role models. Cute as rabbits are they are not great role models. If parents involve children in caring for animals yes they will learn but sending Jeff and Fluffy down the bottom of the garden to play won't teach Jeff anything!

There are some young people that make excellent owners but unfortunately they are the exception and they still need parents support. Most will need help with transport, vet bills or maybe even cleaning out if they have to move large/heavy things around.

The thing to remember is a rabbit could live to be 10 years old and is a parent/child willing to make such a long term comitment? A rabbit might be great when you are 8 years old but will the child still be interested aged 14, 16, 18? I would argue that the majority would not. I tend to recommend a couple of guinea pigs if I know of a parent thinking of buying a child a pet.

Rabswood

Back