• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Giant & Shy Rabbit

blueboy

Banned
I am posting this on behalf of a friend as she is unable to access the forum. After having Toby for 17 years she now has a new rabbit since yesterday. His name is McQueen and he is a Giant Papillion (he is still not fully grown) and he is 7 to 8 months. My reason for writing is because he is rather on the shy side and will make a run for it at any slight move, or when you try and stroke his nose. Is there anyway in attempting to tame a giant shy rabbit?

Here are some images

newbun7.jpg

newbun5.jpg

mcqueen.jpg

mcqueen2.jpg

mcqueen3.jpg

newbun6.jpg

Apparently he hides underneath the table and will come out for a few seconds and then make a dash back under the table if anyone moves. She has tried going down to his level but he doesn’t come out from under the table. :lol:

Any suggestions would be great

Sal

Last edited:
lots of patience!!!!!!! :D rabbits are prey animals, so they instictively see you as a threat.

how does he react when your friend brings food? he needs to learn to associate her with food and treats. tell her to sit on the floor with some food and gently talk to him and he will hopefully become confident enough to come over. it may take several days, or even weeks.

was toby a rabbit?

lots of patience!!!!!!! :D rabbits are prey animals, so they instictively see you as a threat.

how does he react when your friend brings food? he needs to learn to associate her with food and treats. tell her to sit on the floor with some food and gently talk to him and he will hopefully become confident enough to come over. it may take several days, or even weeks.

was toby a rabbit?

Yeah Toby was her rabbit that died in Nov due to old age. He was 17 years old! :shock: I have warned her that this Papillion will not live anywhere near that age. But she wanted him so I couldn't stop her :lol: She is experienced with buns but not big shy ones. Toby was very tame and went everywhere with her.

A few of my buns have been very nervous when they've come to live with us.. It just takes time, he doesn't know your friend yet and he doesn't know his new home. I'm sure he'll come round soon and start to settle..

He is one stunning bun :love::love:

I love him!!

I think just sitting quietly with him several times a day and hand feeding him veg will help,it will take time but worth it!

Jackie

Tell Emma that he may well take time to come round as he is used to the pet shop surroundings..so her home will be different to him with lots of different smells and sounds.
He's had alot of change in his short life so will need time..it is always difficult when you've had one pet so long..(and Toby 17!:shock:)..the newbie is often seen as hard to get to know..
I'm sure with patience McQueen will soon be following Emma around like a dog!:D
Lots of laying on the floor, hand feeding him his veg/pellets and soft talking whilst noserubbing should do the trick:D
Tell her Good Luck..and what a stunning bun!

Thanks honeybunny :). She is finding it really hard, especially as she had to throw away Toby’s food yesterday and replace it. Toby was her brother and best friend as she had him since she was only 11. She is both happy and sad. She didn’t really want to buy from a pet shop, in fact she did walk away three times over 3 months when she went in. But she loved him and he was still there so she got him….how could she resist I am sure you can see how she couldn’t. She is going to take him for a check up at the vets and have him booked in for de plumbing once his settled in.

…and she dose send her apologies to anyone she may have come across harsh with. I think she was spoilt with Toby. She may start to understand what you all mean now she has a more “normal” like bun.

oh I remember Toby too - the bunny that made me want a single male houserabbit! - what a great age he lived to! :)

Blueboy..as you probaby know I do not support buying a bunny from either a breeder or a petshop..especially as I'm full to bursting and so are all the other rescues..
but I do understand how hard it is not to resist a bun you've seen and Emma has him and so I'm happy to give her advice..

Blueboy..as you probaby know I do not support buying a bunny from either a breeder or a petshop..especially as I'm full to bursting and so are all the other rescues..
but I do understand how hard it is not to resist a bun you've seen and Emma has him and so I'm happy to give her advice..

She said when she left him for the last time that she would rather have him then someone that didn't know what they was doing. There was two large rabbits there before, the other one was fluffier and jet black. A member of staff did said that a begininer took the other one home and I would not say that these big breeds where for bagininers. So Emma decided to take him because she was looking for a bunny and she liked him. The first time she saw him Toby had just passed so it wasn't the best time.

She hasn’t attempt holding him yet. She’s a bit nervous of him I think. :lol:

oh I remember Toby too - the bunny that made me want a single male houserabbit! - what a great age he lived to!

Yep thats her :D

Back