• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

company

sabs

Young Bun
i have a 4 month old dwarf lop i was thinking about getting him a friend, would it be better to get a female or a male? :?

It is better to have a partner of the opposite sex, although some people do have same sex pairings. The bonding is supposed to be easier with girl/boy pairs but not impossible with others.

Given that you have the choice (i.e do not already have two rabbits) I would certainly say a speyed female. Two males are a bad combination, particularly when they are adult and have not grown up together. They are very likely to seriously fight over territory, even brothers who have grown up together often fall out in later life.

Your boy will need neutering before he can be paired with any other rabbit.

yeah hes goin in on monday to be neutered although im having second thoughts about that bit worried im doin it 2 early and something mite go wrong, are rabbits better off on their own or in pairs etc?

Rabbits are naturally sociable animals and really benefit from the company of their own species. Once you see how a pair interact you will never keep a single bunny again!

Castration is a really simple op, minor in the hands of a rabbit savvy vet, and very low risk now days. I have had over 60 bunnies neutered and never had major complications with or lost a buck yet.

Has he had a pre-op check to ensure he is 'developed' enough?

no he hasn't should i of done that? he's goin down to the vets at 830am on mon they never said anythin on the phone about it.

Definitely have him neutered. Male rabbits are territorial and they will spray urine which is horrible. When we first got Wolfie he wasn't neutered and he was like one of those sprayers that you see spreading pig muck on fields. It went everywhere and had terrific range. I got caught a few times I can tell you!!

Female rabbits get moody when they get sexually mature and territorial too - bit like long-term PMS. Also I believe that spaying them helps prevent them getting ovarian cancer which is reputed to kill a lot of female unspayed rabbits when they get older. It doesn't cost much and your get the benefit of being able to have two bunnies who will love each other as long as the bonding goes well. My two sit huddled together, grooming, snuggling and they are never too far apart. As I am out at work most of the day, it is nice for them to have their own company. I would never keep a single rabbit unless I had to.

no he hasn't should i of done that? he's goin down to the vets at 830am on mon they never said anythin on the phone about it.

Im sure they will check him when you drop him off but do ensure that this is going to take place. They will check he is healthy which is important for a rabbit about to undergo a GA and will also ake sure his 'bits' are all accounted for!

They told you to feed him as normal right?

now im worried no they didnt omg what have i done lol!!! i thought i was doing the right thing but seeing as they haven't said anythin about those 2 points should i go through with it?

Lets put it this way, did they tell you not to feed him after a certain time period prior to the op?

When you signed up with the vet did you ask them about their rabbit experience? Have they, for example, encouraged you to have myxi & VHD vaccinations?

yeah he had both jabs when i first got him there was no problem there but when i phoned them to book him in on monday they didnt say anythin about not feeding him etc any advice on what i should do there? :?

Hi don't worry neutering males is a simple op..although of course there is a small risk with any ga.
Feed him as normal right up to the op and send him in with some of his usual food .

If his testicles are down..can you see them?..then they are big enough to remove.
he should recover quickly and if he is going with a neutered female he can be paired 2 weeks after op..if an un neutered girl you MUST wait 6 weeks.

Good luck!

Hi.
When my two boys were neutered we couldn't feed them after 8:00pm and then we had to take their water away the morning of the op...

And...
My two boys were bonded very easily... The got on imediatly...

But I think that boy/girl may be easier... although my boy/boy worked really well..:D

Hi.
When my two boys were neutered we couldn't feed them after 8:00pm and then we had to take their water away the morning of the op...

..:D
Jack bun the advice not to feed a rabbit before an op is wrong and can result in the rabbit being very ill or even dying..
you were lucky but if your vet advises this again please ignore it..and maybe inform them that they may need to change the advice they are giving out.

Sadly some vets have a standard sheet for pre op care for all animals..and so it's handed to rabbit owners.

anyones buns in for an op must continue to feed as normal

One of the first things that I ask a new 'rabbit' vet is their advice on pre-op fasting. It is so dangerous to fast a rabbit pre-op and totally unnecessary as unlike dogs/cats/people rabbits are not able to vomit and therefor cannot choke on their own sick under a GA.

Not feeding causes GI motility to slow (which occurs with the GA too) and it can be so hard to get it running normally again. As we all know a rabbit revolves around its stomach and its incredibly dangerous for their guts to become static for any lenght of time.

If a vet advised me to fast my rabbit I would be taking my custom elsewhere.

Sabs- Tha fact your vet didnt mention anything about feeding is fine, so long as they did not tell you to fast him. Just ask them if they will be performing a pre-op check when you drop him off.

thanks guys for the advice i feel better now knowing that he has to be fed i didnt really think of asking the vet about fasting him before his op, ye i will ask wen i drop him off about a pre op check

as to getting him a friend is there a right time in getting one? and shold i try to get another one around the same age?

I would give him 14 days after his op to heal up and let his hormones subside then look about for a friend (who must also be neutered). They will bond with any age rabbit although for obvious reasons they will need to be a certain age in order to have been neutered.

I would try not to go too far either way because inevitably one rabbit always outlives the other and the widower will need a new companion when the time comes. Also a golden oldie ma not appreciate the amarous nature of a 'teen'.

cool! i would like ludo to have a friend seeing how many people on the forum have got paired bunnies. do u know of anywhere in devon that have rabbits up for rehoming as i dont know where to start looking?

Back