• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

House buns - how do you cope with cleaning?

drpengie

Wise Old Thumper
Don't know if you can help me, but my otherhalf is driving me mad nagging about the mess the buns are creating.

They both live in the conservatory and are not allowed in the rest of the house due to the 'fluff factor'. Their hutch gets cleaned out twice a day which is really easy as we just get a dustpan & brush and sweep all the mess out. There is lino in there so it's dead easy.

However no matter how much we seem to clean there is always fluff just flying around everywhere - it's floating in the air and just gets everywhere.

My hubby has just yet again had a go at me about it. The whole room gets vacuumed totally including moving furniture every week, and then I vaccum round most days. I just don't know what else I could do.

He reckons he's reacting to all the fluff and I just don't want to get to the pint where he's had enough and wants me to rehome them. I don't think he would, but I feel so sad how he's getting at me about it. Crying now :cry: I'd never get rid of my buns ever - I love them so much!

Can anyone help? x

im used to the hair cus of the dog, but maybe if you brushed them more often there would be less fluff floating about... other than hay i dont notice any mess needing cleaned....i guess with a carpet we dont get the fluff... i hope your bf dosent mean the rehoming threats :(

edit - maybe hes just jealous of them? and no amount of cleanin will get rid of that :(

Last edited:
I literally have a problem with cleanliness. It certainly dosn't go hand in hand with being an animal lover and I hoover everyday, sometimes twice.

What aspects of dirt is it that are causing the problems i.e. fur, bedding, poop, hay?

I have the opposite problem, my boyfriend is creating a lot of mess in the house and i'm fed up with it! :lol:
I can cope with rabbit fluff and hay everywhere but i draw the line at man hairs on the soap and dirty socks on the floor. He also seem unable to make a cup of tea without spilling it everywhere :roll::roll::roll:
Men eh?! Who'd have em?! :lol:

Do you hace a proper hutch in there? That could be making more work esp if you have hay and straw down as bedding.

I have the opposite problem, my boyfriend is creating a lot of mess in the house and i'm fed up with it! :lol:
I can cope with rabbit fluff and hay everywhere but i draw the line at man hairs on the soap and dirty socks on the floor. He also seem unable to make a cup of tea without spilling it everywhere :roll::roll::roll:
Men eh?! Who'd have em?! :lol:

tell me about it.... ste has a big pile of durty clothes next to his pc and even uses the stairs as a laundry basket GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I dont have a fluff problem with mine.. unless im combing them.. then theres fluff everywhere!! But.. i do have the problem of hay and dried grass all on the landing and down the stairs all the time :roll: Luckily my OH doesnt really mind too much:D

I literally have a problem with cleanliness. It certainly dosn't go hand in hand with being an animal lover and I hoover everyday, sometimes twice.

What aspects of dirt is it that are causing the problems i.e. fur, bedding, poop, hay?

It's just the fluff - that's the only complaint. It just gets everywhere

Capel said:
Do you hace a proper hutch in there? That could be making more work esp if you have hay and straw down as bedding.

Yes we have a proper hutch, but they have no bedding at all. They don't like it or use it, so we don't bother. They have a hay rack at the end of the hutch attached, the little hideyhole bit of the hutch has the litter try in it, cos we found they never like to sleep in it. The lino is cushion flooring so is warm and we have a heater on in there 24-7 so it is always warm. They just snuggle up on a night together.

Rehome the O/H :thumb:

Sorry, I'll leave now...............:oops:

Janex

if he made me choose between him and them I would rehome him!!! :lol::lol:

He's just got a very stressful job, but last thing I need is the nagging. I just asked him outright now and he said no way would he ask me to get rid of them, he jsut can't deal with the fluff - everything is covered in it! :(

Lexie has moulted every month since I have had her. Once a day I take her into the garden and give her a blinking good 'plucking' (she moults in clumps) that combined with a once a day hoover seems to do the trick.

my brothers flat is covered with fluff they only have 1 dog but cus theres no carpets it just lingers about.... if youve got wooden flooring?? add some rugs to catch the fluff :)

I have to admit, I couldn't keep any of my rabbits in the house because I am a tidy freak:lol::lol: I would hate the mess.
Sallyx

we have lots of fluff on our kitchen floor but the buns dont even go in there!!! i think its just dust because we had it before we even go buns!!! i sweep every day after washing up and it still gets dusty, i dont know how but its just one of those things.

this is the set up:

Hutch
Bunnysetup004.jpg

Bunnysetup008.jpg

Litter tray compartment as modeled by Splodge :)
Bunnysetup006.jpg

Srumpie eating in the main area
Bunnysetup007.jpg

The play area :roll:
Bunnysetup009.jpg

Bunnysetup010.jpg

Hope the set up is OK?

You could always send O/H over here for some Desensitisation Therapy. A few days in a house with 42 Bunsters should sort him out..................

Janex :wave:

You could always send O/H over here for some Desensitisation Therapy. A few days in a house with 42 Bunsters should sort him out..................

Janex :wave:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
He'd have a fit. Before we got the buns I used to call him military man as he has to have everything just so. Sometimes I'm using something, I might put it down to go out of the room say to the loo and when I come back it's been put away!! :shock:

I had that exact same lino in my hutch when my bunnies were outdoors! :lol: My 2 are indoors, and the fluff does fly around a bit when they are moulting heavily, but mostly it is hay that gets everywhere here.

Back