• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Inca's Removed Incisors (pictures)- You may find this interesting.

Sooz

Wise Old Thumper
Or possibly you may find it gross, like Phil did. Either way I think its quite educational, especially if you have a rabbit with dental (particularly tooth root) problems.

I was shocked to see the state of Inca's teeth below the gum line. We had them removed due to maloclausion but looking at the way the root was twisted, junctured and fractured on all his teeth it must have been very uncomfortable, especially as the roots were about 1.7cms long.

Please excuse the blood :oops:

All four, uppers and lowers:
06-10-07_1955.jpg

Uppers to scale:
06-10-07_1957.jpg

Lowers to scale:
06-10-07_1956.jpg

Here you can see how the upper incisors have a junction running down the center. At the base they have split and one side has twisted and raised. The tooth should have a gradual, continual, natural curve:
06-10-07_1958.jpg

This shows how much of the tooth is actually exposed, the rest all sits below the gum line:
06-10-07_1959.jpg

This shows where the exposed tooth ends and the 'root' begins:
06-10-07_2000.jpg

So all in all the little guy had pretty messed up teeth.

Wow interesting stuff :shock:

But did make me feel a bit queezy but think that is because its teeth not the blood :oops::lol:

My vet always keeps the removed incisors for me whenever I have a bunny done, I find it really fascinating, good pictures

Definately better out than in!!
Makes my toes curl watching Incisor extractions :shock:

Janex

I couldn't stay in the end as I had a debriefing with the MD's for work. I think the bit that gets to most people must be when the pulp has to be mushed....that seems to take a fair bit of force in a rather delicate area, my tummy turns at the thought :shock:

The trainee nurse looked a bit pale!

I couldn't stay in the end as I had a debriefing with the MD's for work. I think the bit that gets to most people must be when the pulp has to be mushed....that seems to take a fair bit of force in a rather delicate area, my tummy turns at the thought :shock:

The trainee nurse looked a bit pale!

I def' make sure I have an empty stomach if I am going to watch!!

Janex

Scarily that root lenght is actually about right, its just that the direction of growth was deforming the teeth.

The thing that always gets me is how big the roots are :shock:

Definately better out than in :)

Last edited:
:shock:How does all that root fit into a little bunny gum??

Theres also pulp at the end of that root (which isn't shown, obviously) and that has to be thoroughly destroyed to stop the tooth growing back.

As you can imagine surgery is quite brutal.

OUCH:shock: Am I correct in thinking that buns with congenital dental problems tend to be the ones that have been bred to emphasise "squishy" faces?

OUCH:shock: Am I correct in thinking that buns with congenital dental problems tend to be the ones that have been bred to emphasise "squishy" faces?

Yes thats right.

Incisoral problems are mainly found in Netherland Dwarfs as a primary maloclausion however misaligned molars can eventually push the jaw out of line and cause maloclauded incisors as a secondary dental problem....this is usually how they occur in lop breeds who are genetically prone to molar issues.

For the record Inca is a Netherland cross.

Pretty gruesome pics Sooz....not nice to think about the poor little things going through the op.

I've posted these before, but the first pic is a bun we 'removed' from someone.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t47/Lspacehopper/Picture_0062.jpg

The second pic is him in his new home.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t47/Lspacehopper/Splodge.jpg

Splodge is a little nethie and has just undergone his second incisor extraction.

We had another little nethie called Chester come in for adoption and he has also had two extractions.

We have 2 little brother nethies in at the moment, one of which is fine, but the other has overgrown molars, no spurs as yet and slightly ridged incisors.

Poor nethies. They're stunning little things, which makes them so desirable, but a lot of people don't realise the problems they can be in for.

oh my...I'm not very good with teeth. however I'm glad I read this thread. I suspect rosies teeth are fine but I'll keep an eye on my little nethie bunster.

:shock: Those pictures are attrocious. Poor little bunster.

Inca's were only slightly overgrown when he arrived by comparison (we had them clipped consciously once before removal) but they were also spleyed as well as missing each other by about 5mm.

There is a 10% incident rate of regrowth following incisoral removal. In Inca's case Anita is very confident that the only teeth that may regrow are his peg teeth, as the pulp is harder to destroy. These can be eaily fixed.

Nia's a nethie cross, and Kevin says her teeth "aren't great, but not too bad, considering she's a nethie":? So here's hoping the non-nethie part of her is all in her jaws!!

Back