• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Liquorice not himself....should i be worried? U/D been to vet

kelzuna

Warren Scout
Liquorice hasnt touched his breakfast this morning and its usually all gone by now.

He's been lying in or near his litter tray all morning and hasnt moved much. He seems really quiet. My other half went to pick him up and he went to his hutch and then went behind the sofa under the radiator wher he has been for the past hour.

He has had a few little wee's and poo's but not much?

Should i be worried?

He usually sleeps most of the day anyway but he just doesnt seem himself?

Last edited:
Sounds like it could be the start of something gut related, do you hve any recovery to feed? Or maybe some of his favourite foods.

The vet is probably your safest bet as it could be anything, is he hunched up at all?

I wouldnt say hunched up but doesnt look that comfortable.

he was lying in his litter tray which he has never done?

Try giving him some tummy rubs & get him moving around if you can & if you have any infacol I'd give some of that. Hope he feels better soon xx

Last edited:
Did he eat normally overnight?
Did he produce the normal amount of poo overnight?

If 'yes' to both then I would *not* attempt syringing anything but cooled boiled water for now. You can add a Camomile Tea-bag if you have any as camomile is soothing to the guts. That combined with trying to get him to hop about ( put him in a room he is not used to as he'll want to investigate and will be more likely to move about) would be the best thing to do in the first instance.
10-20ml of cooled boiled water every hour will help rehydrate his gut contents and movement will promote gut motility.

If he has not eaten or poo'd within the next few hours I would contact your Vet for advice. Obviously contact the Vet beforehand if Liquorice appears to be deteriorating

Janex

Last edited:
his ears are cold what does that mean? we just picked him up and he didnt struggle which isnt like him.

rang vet - ist closed - going to try see if another vet is open.

his ears are cold what does that mean? we just picked him up and he didnt struggle which isnt like him.

rang vet - ist closed - going to try see if another vet is open.

My bun's ears are always cold in this weather... I don't think cold ears is very significant, or is his entire body cold as well?

Glad to see you have booked him into the vets, cold ears in a hosue rabbit are usually a sign they are not quite right, sick rabbits tend to struggle with homeostasis.

You are doing the right thing getting him checked over:D. Rabbits are such delicate creatures:roll:.

Do make sure to update us.

Sending get well soon vibes... ;)

been to vets and described his symtoms as:

not eating since last night, not drinking, very sleepy and generally not himself.

She gave him a good tummy examination and when she was examining towards the top of his tummy he let out a squeak!

She said his liver/splien felt enlarged!!!!!!!!

She took his temp which was ok and checked his teeth which were ok too.

Vet gave him 160ml of saline as she said he was a little dehydrated and antibiotic and zantac injection.

She has prescribed: Marbocyl and Zantac syrup and also given us Science recovery liquid feed to feed him by syringe.

Vet said he had 'picked up siomething'??? But she was quite worried so asked he be brought back on Mon.

We got him home and now hee is just lying in his carrier box (which he hates by the way) he wont come out. So we just took the top off and he's lying in it like a bed near the radiator.

He moving occasionally but not much....anyone else experienced these symtoms? what might be wrong with him?

Theres a few things that can cause enlargement of the liver, not to sure about the spleen. Is he eating OK? Are his stools normal?

Did she mention any possibilities to you?

Theres a few things that can cause enlargement of the liver, not to sure about the spleen. Is he eating OK? Are his stools normal?

Did she mention any possibilities to you?

Not eating, hasnt done much poo since last nite...maybe 3 little ones.

She said he 'picked something up' ????

Could it be GI statis? what is that exactly?

Just given him some Science recovery (i assume this is mushed up pellets) by syringe - he didnt like it one bit and was really grinding his teeth :cry::cry::cry::cry: Vet said to get as much of this down him as we could together with lots of water.

Last edited:
Were any of those medicines a Gut stimulant?
It does sound like the beginnings of GI stasis to me. Does your practice have an emergency vet or is this vetsnow in middlesborough or gatehead? which is a complete pain in the **** to get too... very far away.

I know a practice with an emergency service that will let you take your pet to there even if you are not registed if it is a real emergency. Had to do this with oscar a while ago when he had something similar.

Hepatic Coccidiosis causes enlargement of the liver. Im wondering if thats what your vet means by 'picked something up'.

This is information on stasis:
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

and nursing a GI static rabbit:
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

Remember stasis is nearly always a secondary condition to another underlying problem. Rabbits with Coccidiosis usually go on to develope bloat/GI stasis.

However I am only speculating, I have absolutely no way of knowing what your vet may or may not suspect is the problem. This was the first thing that came to mind.

Were any of those medicines a Gut stimulant?
It does sound like the beginnings of GI stasis to me. Does your practice have an emergency vet or is this vetsnow in middlesborough or gatehead? which is a complete pain in the **** to get too... very far away.

I know a practice with an emergency service that will let you take your pet to there even if you are not registed if it is a real emergency. Had to do this with oscar a while ago when he had something similar.

not sure if one was gut stimulant...think it was Marbocyl and Zantac which is what we have to administer from 2mro.

She also gave us the detailks of vetsnow in gateshead which she said to contact if he deteriated

Poor Liquorice :cry:

Do you use woodshavings for his bedding?
Has he not had a recent GA :?
Was he on any medication for his gunky eye?

No gut stimulant was given. Marbocyl is an antibiotic and Zantac is an anti GI Ulcer Med

Why was no pain relief given :?

Janex

Poor Liquorice :cry:

Do you use woodshavings for his bedding?
Has he not had a recent GA :?
Was he on any medication for his gunky eye?

No gut stimulant was given. Marbocyl is an antibiotic and Zantac is an anti GI Ulcer Med

Why was no pain relief given :?

Janex

No we use vetbed....use woodshaving for litter tray though. He wasnt on any med for his eye no.

I dont know why any pain relief wasnt given...should it have been ...i didnt think to ask???

What do u think it could be? im so worried!!!!

Back