• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this a good price for a hutch? - Updated - a playhouse instead!

Cob-Web

Warren Scout
Sadly, because of where I live, the excellent hutch suppliers I have seen recommended here (Rydale/Happy Hutches etc) are unable to deliver to my home at a reasonable cost :(

I have found a local tradesman who makes hutches, and asked for a quote on the following specifications:

Double hutch with a run underneath, 5' wide, each hutch and the run 2' high, weather treated and felt-roofed in 9mm ply.

I have been quoted £150 for this, which seems very reasonable compared to the prices of hutches online - is it a case of getting what you pay for and should I look for a higher price?

Last edited:
Hiya

I'm not a real expert on hutches although I have a variety at home and have learned by experience what I would buy and not buy.

You may just be lucky to have found someone with low overheads that can produce a good hutch for less money.

Is the whole hutch going to be made of plywood or is it just the roof and floor? I would personally only go for solid tongue and groove timber as it's much more substantial, will last a long time if treated and won't blow away in the high winds!

Also, does it come with proper heavy padbolts or just turn buttons? If you have to add your own door furniture that will add to your costs.

What gauge of weld mesh does he use? I have seen some hutches made with very flimsy weld mesh or even chicken wire. Using these products would make building the hutch cheaper but I wouldn't personally use it as I don't think it's good enough.

If he is doing all of the above things 'right' and his workmanship is good, then I would snap his hand off.

:):D

whereabouts do you live? :) Only the happyhutch one that size is cheaper and it's tongue and groove - plywood isn't very weather resisitant long term, and rabbits can live around 10yrs.

I'm on the Isle of Wight - but I don't need a hutch anymore, because we have discovered that my daughter has outgrown her playhouse, so we are going to convert it to a bunny-palace instead :bunny::rabbit2:

I am so chuffed - and will no doubt have loads of questions as I engage in the design phase over the next few weeks :lol:

zec7lh.gif

Hi.
I have just finnished my playhouse today...

There are some pics on the Photo Forum...

I think the thread is called Pics of my playhouse or somehing like ((PICS))

lol....
Playhosue's are great... mine love it

Back