• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does your bunny lunge and bite you in an unprovoked attack?

Does your bunny lunge and bite you in an unprovoked attack?

• Yes

Votes: 15 29.4%
  • No

Votes: 36 70.6%

• Total voters

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
I was looking at some old photos of one of my bridge bunny, Little Happy, who passed away back in 2005. I remember during the 4.5 years that I was w/ him, there were 3 incidents that this bunny attacked me.

Out of nowhere, while I have no interaction w/ him in the house, all of a sudden, he would duck, lunge and bite me viciously. There is nothing, no sound such as music, or anything happening in the home at the time that could have provoke him.

I remember I read another thread about this of other people's owner has the same problem.

Does your bunny do that? If so, anyone knows why?

overbreeding can cause mental instability in rabbits - maybe that was it? Or possibly poor sight?

Fudge frequently does. I thought he was getting better as I hadn't noticed and episode for ages but.... yesterday I caught him swinging from my son's nans trouser leg :shock: clearly he took a dislike to her!!! :roll:

Fudge frequently does. I thought he was getting better as I hadn't noticed and episode for ages but.... yesterday I caught him swinging from my son's nans trouser leg :shock: clearly he took a dislike to her!!! :roll:

Is Fudge from a breeder? And how old is he?

No he was from a pet shop but he is a satin so probably a breeders reject. He is 4 now

Maybe you just suprised him - like he didn't see you and then suddenly you were in his sights.

Or maybe you were moving his stuff around?

We used to have a very grumpy old bunny who would growl, but only when we were bugging her. As in waving a toilet roll at her.

Maybe you just suprised him - like he didn't see you and then suddenly you were in his sights.

Or maybe you were moving his stuff around?

We used to have a very grumpy old bunny who would growl, but only when we were bugging her. As in waving a toilet roll at her.

I think she stood a bit close to his cage :lol: He was a free range rabbit and very possisive of everything in the house, I decided to give him a cage again last week and he seems to like it. But charging out to attack people who walk near it is going to cause some problems I think :?

I've always though he had some kind of brain damage making him aggressive as there's been no pattern

One of my gorgeous house bunnies has lunged and bitten, I think 2 times, over the years. He has the most adorable nature. The first time, I had come back from a rescue and I think the smells of all the bunnies did something to him. The second time, I don't think he knew it was me and my hand went to tidy up his hay to quickly and he jumped and bit my hand. He has never bitten again.

Generally its territorial/dominance or fear issues.

The rabbit either fears an attck from the owner and would then chose fight or flight, if trapped or cornered it has limited options.

If in its own space the rabbit may be defending its territory or reaffirming that it believes it is above you in the hierachy if the rabbit includes you in part of its warren.

Lexie has never lunged but I get regularly nipped if I refuse to groom her. She firmly believes herself to rank above me :roll:

so far nope... alvins way too lazy to waste energy on attacking me and pearl is a touch too scared of us right now to have the confidence too attack

Rocky is short sighted and often mistakes a hand for some food. He's gotten better at realising now and the last few times he's caught me he's not broken the skin. :lol:

Bella lunges, growls and tries to bite if I don't distract her before putting my hand in her cage. She was even worse before she was spayed. I think it's definitely territorial as she never does it when she's out of her cage. She bit and drew blood last week when I stupidly tried to get her food bowl out without throwing a few pellets at the other end of her cage first.

I put "No" as they arn't unprovoked. Its when I put my hand into his cage which he is being territorial over so its kind of understandable...:D

I put 'No'. On the odd occaison that I've been nipped, it's usually been an understandable reaction (eg not moving quick enough or trying to administer Baytril).

My friend has a male rabbit and he lunges, I think his is more territorial though.

alvin tried beating up the brush this morning but i was brave and kept on trying to brush him..... he then tried to hide behind pearl :love:

Was he neutered? My first bun Mary came to me because he'd lung and bite everyone at the petshop I worked at except me, and he'd lunge at family members at home. He had his incisors removed before he was neutered but would still lunge (couldn't bite though :lol:) until he was, and after that he was fine.

Asbeau does alot when he's alone, but when Magic's around he is a big wuss and she just sits on him :lol:
That's the main reason Asbeau was up for re-homing :(

Was he neutered? My first bun Mary came to me because he'd lung and bite everyone at the petshop I worked at except me, and he'd lunge at family members at home. He had his incisors removed before he was neutered but would still lunge (couldn't bite though :lol:) until he was, and after that he was fine.

No excuse for mine he was neutered years ago, as well as savaging people he also savages rabbits and tried to get an escaped chinchilla and rat, luckily I intercepted :shock: He doesn't seem territorial of his cage, I can put my hands in there no problem :?

Strangely enough he's also my cuddliest rabbit too and will sit on my lap or next to me for hours being stroked :? sometimes he likes to be nose to nose which is always rather scary :shock:

Back