• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny not drinking

Thomas

New Kit
Hi All,

Just a quick update of my situation - had 2 girls, but one was a boy,(Rory) separated them when realised she (Sniff)was pregnant and not happy with his presence.Got him neutered Now she has had 9 babies, he is not happy.

I have noticed a real change in Rory's personality, he is not friendly to me anymore, and is standoffish, grunts when i try and stroke him, he won't even eat from my hands as he used to. Do you think he has some sort of separation anxiety? He can still see and smell Sniff and their babies too, and wants to get out of his cage, chewing madly when she is about. I have noticed he is eating a little but not much, but does not seem to be drinking at all? I can't wait to put them back together to see if they will regain their relationship, has anyone else had a similar situation?By the way, he also had his Myx injection just a week ago, do you think he is off colour from that?

V concerned :(

Elena

Hi Elena

I've had a similar experience, occasionally I would have to keep my 2 bonded bunnies separate, due to an operation or something.

Izzy (neutered male) would be fine while Jazmine (neutered female) was at the vets, but if I had to keep them separately when Jazmine returned, Izzy would act really differently especially if he could see Jazmine.

He would not want to eat, chew the bars, sit and stare at her intently. It was really odd to see and I put it down to jealousy and possibly wanting to be with her.

In the end I had to put up a board in between them so that he would eat something.

Nic

Hiya, sorry to hear about the trouble you are having. Perhaps you coul dtake him to the vets if he's not drinking?

The grunting etc might be hormones as I think they take a while to settle down, especially if he can smell a lady and babies.

good luck, hope the babies are all doing well.

If he's recently been neutered he will still have his male hormones driving his urges, so being able to smell a female rabbit will keep him in a state of arousal. Can he be moved temporarily until your female can be neutered (after her babies have left her)
Does he have a water bottle? Could it be blocked. Have you tried offering a bowl? Tried adding a drop of apple juice to it to tempt him?
It's really important that your bun takes in fluid, else he will become dehydrated and go downhill rapidly.
If he's not drinking by himself you will need to gently syringe water into him (warmed with a drop of boiling water from kettle) and take him to a vet if he doesn't pick up, asap.
Does he eat fruit/veg OK? Offer him foods that are wet - apple, cucumber, wet his greens....

Thank you for all your thoughts and comments, i hate to see him looking so sad :cry: I have checked the bottle, changed the water each day...I have just looked in his cage, as I put some lettuce in which he usually demolishes, and it is looking shrivelled and not eaten - I can't really put him somehwere else as they are all in the garage out of the cold in what i hoped would be a bunny heavan collection of runs and cages.

You may be right with the hormones and seeing Sniff and the babies, i will ring the vet - do you think there could be a connection with his Myxamatosis jab last week??

(Babies are gorgeous, healthy, plump and round, can't believe there is not runt in a litter of nine!:love:)

Any further advice gratefully received

Elena

I wouldn't feed lettuce - not good at all for bunnies.
Are you sure he's eating? Can you see todays poops in his hutch?
Definately put in a bowl to see if he drinks, and if he's not drinking or eating you need to see a vet urgently.
Are you able to syringe some water into him? Can you tempt him with other foods, like apple or carrot, to get him eating (small quantites if he's not used to them).
Is he eating his hay/pellets?

Thank you for all your thoughts and comments, i hate to see him looking so sad :cry: I have checked the bottle, changed the water each day...I have just looked in his cage, as I put some lettuce in which he usually demolishes, and it is looking shrivelled and not eaten - I can't really put him somehwere else as they are all in the garage out of the cold in what i hoped would be a bunny heavan collection of runs and cages.

You may be right with the hormones and seeing Sniff and the babies, i will ring the vet - do you think there could be a connection with his Myxamatosis jab last week??

(Babies are gorgeous, healthy, plump and round, can't believe there is not runt in a litter of nine!:love:)

Any further advice gratefully received

Elena

LETTUCE IS A BIG NO NO! :no:

I was about to say that, lettuce is not a good idea. Very little nutritional value and can sometimes cause digestion problems, and in large amounts has an opiate like quality to it. You don't want drugged up bunnies.

Try spring greens or cabbage as they're good for bunnies.

In response to your initial question, if the pair were bonded previously then he could just be missing his wifeybun. In which case he'll perk up when they're put back together providing she doesn't take a disliking to him. It's worth getting her spayed to prevent any fights upon putting them back together.

Also if he continues to go downhill and doesn't drink or eat anything then a trip to the vets might be in order.

Hi BB mommy, eek, did not know about lettuce.... one to avoid in future..It is hard to tell if he is eating as he threw his food bowl around (he really is cross) and his hay does not look as if it has been eaten. I am going to get him out now and have a good look at him..I think he has been nibbling some food as I saw him eat yesterday,
There are plenty of poops and wee for that matter, though strong smelling he won't take any food whilst I am there, which is strange, but I will try him with some bits now (he loves carrots)

Thank you

Elena

But I thought cabbage was bad too?

We fed our buns cabbage when we were little, but I've since read that cabbage is no good either.

Apparently savoy cabbage is fine in small amounts (no more than twice a week). But I could be wrong. I stick to spring greens though as they're cheaper.

Oh no, I thought i was being a good bunny mommy giving them greens along wit pellets etc....no cabbage either??:oops: Any other no no foods I should know about? I had heard rhubabrb leaves and that was all.. I am feeding 11 mouths, and getting through bunny food like I am keeping locusts (except for Rory :cry:)

But I thought cabbage was bad too?

We fed our buns cabbage when we were little, but I've since read that cabbage is no good either.

Spring Greens are best as they are more easily digested.
Cabbage can cause gut problems (think gas) for some buns, and for others should only be given in very limited amounts, or not at all - I'd never feed cabbage to my buns just in case.

If you're not sure whether he's eating I'd clean out his hutch and put in fresh pellets. That way you can easily see if he's eaten and pooped:D
If there is no joy by the morning then you need to visit your vet asap

Thank you, i will let you know how he is - i clean his litter trays (he wees in one and poos in the other) daily, so know he is doing them,
Thanks everyone

Elena

Back