• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bisolvon and other mucolytics

hot knox buns

Young Bun
I am curious a bit about the mucolytics I have heard some of you speak of for snuffles buns. After reading about them on here, I found several case studies on New Zealand Whites (What my girls are) that said that treatment of antibiotics was much more effective with these, as they helped make the environment in the nasal cavity not a friendly one for the pasturella bacteria.

However, when I have asked vets in the USA about this, none of them have heard of any use of mucolytics in buns before, and rely very heavily on antibiotics only.

So I am curious if you are getting this from your vets, or if it seems to be a home remedy? I cannot get Bisolvon here, it seems, and am having a hard time finding the same thing (bromhexine hydrochloride) in my country. I wonder what other mucolytics you have used on your buns, so maybe I can find those here and convince my vet to look into it and try it out.

Poor girl is still whimpering and feeling miserable- her baytril is not working, and sulpha tri has never done it for her either. Tetracycline seems to be my last resort, but I am hoping to find some other big guns to bring into her treatment course to help out.

Thanks ladies!

That is such a shame that you can't get hold of Bisolven...its really good, I know that there is one other antibiotic you could try and it begins with an F but I can't remember what it is..... someone wise we be along soon....

Hello! I use a combination of bisolvon and antibiotic for Santa's snuffles and it does work well. I'm curious though as to why you are calling Tetracycline as a last resort - Santa has been on tetracycline on and off for the past year or so and it works an absolute treat for her snuffles, far better than other antibiotics I've used in the past (including baytril, septrin and even penicillin)

Oh, I only meant that it is the one good antibiotic for snuffles my bun has not been on yet.

Do any of you use anything other than Bisolvon for a mucolytic? I am finding a lot of literature on the use of mucolytics being wonderful, but nothing that states what is available in the US.

When Princess Caramel had myxi and got an infection I used to put Olbas Oil in a bowl of boiling water and steam her to ease the mucus.... also got me breathing quite well too! :lol:

Oooo, thank you for the suggestion. I will stop by the co-op tonight and see if they carry this! I hope she will be good for me when i steam her. She is quite the feisty little (ok, BIG) girl!

I have considered using my nebulizer for her too, with saline in it. I wonder if I can put the olbas oil in there... I will have to work on that one!

Oh, she is going to hate me with all this treatment she needs! At least she will be feeling better though, right?

If she really hates being steamed then a good idea is to put her in the bathroom, fill the tub with hot water and put some olbas oil in that... the bathroom will get all steamy and she won't even realise she is being given meds!

Thats a good idea! Thanks so much for your help! I hope these things can get her feeling better! A better antibiotic, and something to help ease her breathing issues immediately!

Good luck with that I know that some people use nebulisers but I am not sure what they put in them.. let us know how you get on and vibes for your bun, hope she is feeling better soon!

Back