• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just dropped Molly on floor!!!!

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
I can't believe what just happened. She squirmed so much in my arms that I had to drop her. She ran for quite a bit before she paused and I took the chance to grab her. Put her back into the run for her to calm down. After about 5-10 minutes, I tried again. This time she buried her head underneath my jacket whilst I took her to her hutch and popped her in.

Will she be in shock? She sat quietly for a while and was washing herself just after the incident. She's now eating and drinking.

I have no idea what it was but was probably a cat or a fox in the distance. If I hadn't have caught her, she would have run away. Our garden is sooooooooo not rabbit-proof. There are a million ways for a rabbit to escape under the fence.

What are the signs of shock so I can keep an eye on her? I had a rabbit who died from shock a while back but forgotten the symptoms, mostly they go cold???

How far did she fall, and onto what kind of surface?
I would be inclined to have her checked out if it were the distance from you standing up. I don't carry skittish buns from runs to hutches, and when I carry others I always scruff them, support their bum and hold them close to my chest. If you have a rabbit that is nervous about being picked up, or is likely to be scared by something it's far safer to use a pet carrier...and less stressful too.

She isn't usually like this. Just before she started squirming, her ears went right up and she was looking straight into the distance. They usually sit in my arms, against my chest. They can squrim a tad but it is controllable. I hate using the pet carrier, cos she associate it with the vets and it's only like one metre from the hutch to the run. not much point really.

She fell from me standing up, over my arms, so about 5ft. It was onto concrete. I don't want to go to the vets unless absolute emergency cos my parents are away, have little money and no car. It would happen now, wouldn't it!!!!

Try not to worry.
They can be wriggly little monsters when they want to be, can't they? But if she's sat washing herself, then she's probably okay. She's not moving with any limp or sign of discomfort, is she? Just keep an eye on her, I imagine.

I've not dropped any of mine (yet!), but my Barney-boy is especially prone to doing thesr things that leave me cold and have me worrying and watching him for ill-effects for days afterwards. :roll: Think he's less fragile than I am...

She hopped around afterwards and was acting just like normal. She was just very alert and wide-eyed after the incident, but that's to be expected, I suppose??

Back