• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

opinions on hutches

Crystal butterfly

Warren Veteran
after a long think i decided against the happy hutch i wasnt conviced that it would be easy to clean out so im looking for another one instead, dont want to waste my money again on ahutch im going to have problems cleaning out because it would just end up in the tip after a few months :?

anyways opinions on these hutches please i currently have a bonded pair but hoping to have a trio so please judge the hutch for 3 rabbits want to be prepared in case it works out. 2 small rabbits one medium.

this hutch in 6ftx2ftx4ft
http://www.happyhutch.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=44&categoryID=6

this one with the 6ftx2ftx2ft hutch
http://www.happyhutch.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=222&categoryID=6

this one largest size
http://www.happyhutch.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=71&categoryID=5

cant find anymore decent hutches but if anyone has any good ones in mind please post the link :)

also i will be buying an 8ftx4ft run so the rabbits themselves wont be perminantly in the hutch

I know people don't all like P@H but my hutch is Thistle Hall, it is large, and easy to clean out

I know people don't all like P@H but my hutch is Thistle Hall, it is large, and easy to clean out

yeah i thought about the thistle hall hutch but unsure on the size of it :? im sure someone said it was 4ftx2ftx4ft and im unsure whether this will be big enough for a possible 3 rabbits? :?

What is your budget? I have a Ryedale hutch, 5 ft wide and 2 ft x 2 ft on each level. It is very solid and will last a long time. It is easy to clean out and has not had problems with even the heaviest rain. They do a 6 ft double decker hutch, and if you ask them, they will make it in extra height of 2 ft on each level. How big are your bunnies?

I would recommend a hutch with a wooden floor at the bottom rather than an open run which can get wet and muddy and will be more difficult to clean out.

Here is a photo of the hutch:

ryedale3.jpg

yeah i thought about the thistle hall hutch but unsure on the size of it :? im sure someone said it was 4ftx2ftx4ft and im unsure whether this will be big enough for a possible 3 rabbits? :?

I dont know how big it is, but having seen it I'd say definately not big enough for three. I was going to get it for Jen but didnt even think it was big enough for her tbh. Not rubbishing the above post, but your buns look quite small & Im assuming they have a run too :) (Thats to MrsDavis - Sorry dont know your name) X

What is your budget? I have a Ryedale hutch, 5 ft wide and 2 ft x 2 ft on each level. It is very solid and will last a long time. It is easy to clean out and has not had problems with even the heaviest rain. They do a 6 ft double decker hutch, and if you ask them, they will make it in extra height of 2 ft on each level. How big are your bunnies?

I would recommend a hutch with a wooden floor at the bottom rather than an open run which can get wet and muddy and will be more difficult to clean out.

Here is a photo of the hutch:

ryedale3.jpg

Gisela, what brand of wood stain did you use for your Rydale hutch? Mine is arriving on Sunday and I want to get it treated as soon as possible :wave:

Louise

I think all those hutches look excellent and good quality

where are you getting your 8ft x 4ft run from as i am looking for one?

thanks

Jackie

i love Rydale hutches i think they look amazing i keep looking at them and wishing lol my budget is roughly 200 pounds but would prefere cheaper if possible your hutch looks great btw :)

my local diy place has 6ftx4ft sheds for 99 pounds but my mums already said im not having a shed or id have gone for that instead :?

the 8ftx4ft run is coming off ebay will try and find it and post the link

xx

Gisela, what brand of wood stain did you use for your Rydale hutch? Mine is arriving on Sunday and I want to get it treated as soon as possible :wave:

We got some hutch stain from P@H. I looked in Homebase, but could not see if there was a pet friendly one. The P@H stuff is quite smelly during the first few days, though.

We got some hutch stain from P@H. I looked in Homebase, but could not see if there was a pet friendly one. The P@H stuff is quite smelly during the first few days, though.

Oh, I would never have thought to look in there. I looked in B&Q before, but everything had big Toxic warnings on it.

Cheers

Amy

i love Rydale hutches i think they look amazing i keep looking at them and wishing lol my budget is roughly 200 pounds but would prefere cheaper if possible your hutch looks great btw :)

my local diy place has 6ftx4ft sheds for 99 pounds but my mums already said im not having a shed or id have gone for that instead :?

the 8ftx4ft run is coming off ebay will try and find it and post the link

xx

A shed is a better option, but if your mum won't allow because of space what about a wooden playhouse?? They are on average 5ft by 5ft and 5ft tall. The wood used to make them is excellent quality and far stronger than a hutch. They are tall enough to add a second level to. They aren't so big that they impose on your garden and I picked up one second hand or 50 quid! I'm sure I saw one on www.adtrader.co.uk around your area not so long ago....maybe worth checking out. I also put a cat flap sized door on the side of mine and attached the run.

Hi

Ive just recently had this hutch off ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=190164993758&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=009

I like the fact that there is room for Harvey to sprawl about upstairs as there is plenty of space between his bedroom and the opening for the stairs. Ive got Willow in a Sage House hutch (bought second hand, but originally from P@H). Although this is a nice enough hutch and easy to clean I feel that the opening for the stairs leaves very little floor space for her when upstairs and she spends most of her time in the lower level. Whereas Harvey sprawls out in either level.

Im really happy with Harveys 5ft hutch in respect of space, but I am going to change door closers for bolts asap and add hinges to the bottom door.

Hope this helps.

Hi

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=190164993758&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=009

I like the fact that there is room for Harvey to sprawl about upstairs as there is plenty of space between his bedroom and the opening for the stairs. Ive got Willow in a Sage House hutch (bought second hand, but originally from P@H). Although this is a nice enough hutch and easy to clean I feel that the opening for the stairs leaves very little floor space for her when upstairs and she spends most of her time in the lower level. Whereas Harvey sprawls out in either level.

Im really happy with Harveys 5ft hutch in respect of space, but I am going to change door closers for bolts asap and add hinges to the bottom door.

Hope this helps.

The hutch looks nice, but it is not very deep, nor very high. It may be ok for a very small bunny, but for a trio I'd go for something that is 2 ft deep and 2 ft high on each level.

Hi

Hope this helps.

A 5ft hutch in width is great, but I would be reluctant to put any rabbit in a depth of only 16.5 inches. Others may disagree but I wouldn't put them in anything less than 2 ft in depth (24 inches).

Playhouses are brilliant as they look nice too so parents or oh's wont complain and they are not as tall as sheds and can be painted in bright colours. 3 of mine live in here and it doesnt take up much more room than a huge hutch and run and it is easy to clean out as i have lino on the floor

oh yeah also they have much more head room to stand up and jump on their shelf

P4060103.jpg

CNV00098.jpg

CNV00055.jpg

that last link doesnt work?

I have three small/medium rabbits in a home-made hutch. It's about 5' by 2' by 2' with two storeys, and they have a run which is about 7' by 4'6 (with 24 hour access). Well it's 4'5 at one end and 5' at the other -not sure how that happened!

I would think this is about the minimum size you could have three rabbits in. I am worried that they should really have a bigger hutch, but they do have the run, and they do get out or into the house a lot. We've just built another hutch at my mum's house which is about 3' by 5' by 2' two storey, but it's their holiday home at the moment. I just have to work out out to swap the two round!

Anyway what I'm trying to say is, you might want to consider getting a local carpenter (or diy-fanatic friend) to build you something. If they use strong plywood for most of it, then it shouldnt cost two much.

By the way you can get eco-friendly paints which i think are safe to use on rabbit hutches, but they're pretty expensive!

I just brought my house bunny a thisle hall from pets at home and it's set up in my bedroom. Lovely and big for him but not big enough for 3 x a

Back