• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

It had to Happen - Bunnies Dumped

MoBunny

Warren Scout
Hi,

I have been boarding bunnies for holidays for 5 years now and always knew that one day someone would refuse to pick their bunnies up. It has finally
happened:roll::roll::roll:

It's always the people you least expect to do it as well. So be warned evan
though people appear to be looking after their bunnies they are just looking for someone to take them off their hands and give them a good home.

I'm luck I work with the local RSPCA who are great and very bunny friendly and they have agreed to help me out but I will try and get a donation to cover neutering etc.

They are both female large lops one Sooty fawn and the other black and very
friendly they will be posted on the rehoming section soon under Middx and they were from Harrods pet shop no less:lol::lol:

They will stay with me until we are able to find them a good home.

Maureen

that is so selfish of those owners!!! it makes me mad that people can treat other people and rabbits like this. in a way it is good that they left them with a bunny savvy person rather than just letting them free or dumping them in the middle of nowhere!

we do like you and in 4 years we have had 3 rabbits,and their babies, 4 guineapigs and 4 gerbils left here , thankfully like us you care what happens to them. we have had sooz help us though

Poor bunnies :(

At least the owners left them in safe hands, rather than just dumped them somewhere :?

what a shame, but thankfully they are with you. just wondered how long you leave it until you know the owners arent coming back? Do they give false info?

I had 2 boarding with me for a month at Christmas and they to were never collected, they are only 8mths old, I had 2 12wks old buns a few years ago who came for holidays and never went back. I did actually a couple of years ago refuse to let the owners take their rabbits back as they told me that they just let them wander round their neighbourhood, so I told them this wasn't acceptable and would report her to the RSPCA if she didn't sign them over to me.

Hi,

They were supposed to be here for one month dec/Jan and have now nearly stayed an extra month. They were not answering their phone or said they were away again and would be in touch when they got back.

They have finally admitted that they don't want them back and it's hard to make people pick them up:roll::roll:

They have said they will pay me what I'm owed ( I hope so) by bank transfer
and I have told them I'm willing to help them rehome via RSPCA and make sure they will go to a good home. They are now moving abroad - why get them in the first place they are only 9 months old and are house bunnies.

They had never been outside until the other day when the weather was lovely
and they had a wonderful time out in the garden and dug up my lawn:lol::lol:

They are full of beans and are just wonderful (aren't they all )

Maureen

We do bunny boarding etc too and that's exactly how we acquired Muffin and Caramel, like you say it's always the people you least expect it might be that do it too. We split them up (they were a pig and a bun) and got them both new partners from Angie(Bunymadhouse) at B.A.R.C and we wouldn;t be without them now.

How sad, at least they are in good hands....

... personally I can't wait to go and pick my pets up after they have been in boarding (although I've only done this with cats), the house always seems so empty without them!

Hannah

This is awfully sad but I have heard that it happens. I boarded my rabbits at a place in Epping and she said people often just dont come and collect their rabbits. One good thing to come out of this is that at least they are with you and you will find them a nice new home. At least they werent just abandoned on the street or something.

Is this just a rabbit thing or do people board their dogs and cats and never go pick them up?????

My auntie had a "friend" who asked her to look after her 2 cats for a month (in my aunties own home) while she went away on holiday and then decided never to pick them up. So it does happen to other animals and my auntie doesn't even run a boarding place!

It happens with dogs too - my dad and his wife were asked to look after three dogs (in my dad's house) and then when the owner came to collect them, she said she only wanted one of them back :cry:

The other two are still with my dad and his wife 9 years on, so it worked out ok for them :D

Back