• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Re-designing my vets rabbit care pack...

Sooz

Wise Old Thumper
My vets have asked me to look through their rabbit care pack and add/take away information as I see fit to take back to them next week.

Its one of the best ones that I've seen in a longtime but (nit picking) there are a few bits Im unhappy with. I was just wondering if you guys could make suggestions for things you would find helpful if you were 'A complete novice to rabbits' so that I dont miss anything out. Any input appreciated, even if its only one small detail.

The RWA leaflets might be a good place to look for ideas - they have a lot of the basics :)

Tamsin

I found a list of "do" and "don't" and "in moderation" food list is what I found most useful (can be controvertial as well!).

Accomodation ideas as well - although might not be easy as I guess they would be photograph based!

Hannah

Apparently Im not authorised to access that page. I am a fully paid up RWA member though :s

Its OK thanks, I have copies of most of them somewhere here. Very annoying not been able to access it though.

The first thing Im doing is getting rid of the Russel Rabbit Guide to Rabbits and Dangerous Plants :evil:

i think a list of suitable veg would be good, thats the one thing i struggled with when i first got buns.

im assuming they have bits about keeping them in pairs, the importance of neutering and the reasons you dont keep them with guinea pigs.

I think something emphasising the importance of plenty of good hay is a must, but I'm sure you've already got that covered ;)

Also, would it be worth putting in something about common health problems with rabbits and highlighting when they have to go to the vet *immediately*? A lot of common problems give rise to some not-so-obvious signs that a novice might miss (I'm thinking specifically here of the problems that Vincent had with his eye, that turned out to actually be a symptom of serious teeth issues). I wish I'd had more access to that sort of information as a new rabbit mum :)

when i first got charlie i was a novice and things i found most useful were : vaccinations (I didnt realise they needed them), common ailments (and taking to the vet immediately, the fact that buns don't show when they're ill, prey animals, etc etc) and stressign the importance of social contact.

i was obviously plannign cuddles galore wiht my (then) new bunny but many people are suprised when i tell them how affectionate bunnies are and how they can get bored etc

food do's and dont's are also an excelletn idea!

I found a list of "do" and "don't" and "in moderation" food list is what I found most useful (can be controvertial as well!).

If the leaflet is to be printed or copied in colour, could you use a "traffic light" system of green-amber-red to flag up what can be fed freely, what as an occasional treat and what should never be fed to rabbits? Many people understand a more graphic presentation such as that better than a more straighforward one.

i think, stressing the importance of hutch/run size is a good one. i think the veggy list is good too.

ideas for toys?

treats like willow balls and herby knaw things as opposed to the usual pet shop treats.

the importance of monitoring things like poo and diet for signs of illness, what many common bunny illnesses are like stasis, teeth probs etc.

a break down of costs such as setting up, monthly costs - this is something that always ends up being more than you expect, so good to have some idea of figures.

guess some of these are quite obvious, but to a complete novice they may be really useful.

I always enjoy reading about bunny body language - maybe a glossary/dictionary would be good?

e.g. growling, binkying, standing on hind legs etc.

i think a basic first aid kit would be good - explaining what things should be used for of course! I remember throwing away a lot of useless leaflets.

Maybe something about bunny bahaviour e.g. when a bunny looks happy, sad, thumping, how/when to pick up and stroke, etc.

it might be good to put something in the accomodation bit about hot/cold weather (or heating indoors).

Information about this forum oviously!

Back