• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Thumper is cold, how do I warm him up?

kerina

Warren Scout
:wave:

I'm posting about my new bun Thumper. We got him on Sunday. He was from our local rescue where he lived in quite a small hutch. We have brought him home and put him in hutch/run combo where the hutch is 3ft x 1ft and the run part is 5ft x 3ft.

He weighs 1.5kg so is not a huge bunny.

The problem is he seems to spend all his time out in the run. We have never shut our bunny's in at night, they have always had 24/7 access to their runs and he just seems to want to stay in the run.

He goes in the hutch to eat and he does all his poos and wees in there, but he just seems to like to sit in the run.

I'm a bit worried about him as he feels cold to the touch - although he is very lively and does lots of binky's in the run (he was binkying on the first day!)

What would you all recommend. Am I worrying over nothing or should I somehow be shutting him in the hutch bit at night to ensure that he stays warm?

I appreciate that he would benefit from a bigger hutch and I will be investing in a happy hutch 6ft x 2ft hutch with 6ft x 4ft run but this probably won't be for a month or so yet (hubbies head gasket on his mgtf went the day after we brought him home - estimated repairs at £1500 at the minutes - eek!!).

Anyway, as always, your advice would be much appreciated.

Kerina
xxx

If he's hanging out in the run on his own accord, he's probably ok. Feel his ears - are the warm or cold? They should be warm. Cold ears are a bad sign.

If it's winter were you are and you are really concerned (and his ears are cold) then how about bringing him inside at night when the temperature drops?

Hi Buda, thanks for the reply

Yes his ears are cold!!!

But he seems ok in himself?

It is very much winter here i.e. the temperature last night when I got home was 2 degrees.

I could bring him in at night, but won't that shock his system when I put him back out in the morning?? When I left for work this morning, it was still 2 degrees.

Also, we have two cats who wouldn't take kindly to him being inside!!

When you say cold ears are a bad sign, what do you think this means? Is he ill, or is he going to make himself ill?

yes the change in temperature would not be good for your bun. I have a housebun so i can't advise on how to keep him warm. Have you tired a snugglesafe?? They are like hotwater bottles for buns but have a gel instead of water. I'm sure someone will be along with more advice soon

As long as he has the option to go somewhere warmer I won't worry, you could add a 'den' to the run but he'll probably sit on it instead in it :lol:

Rabbits use their ears for temperature regulation. When its hot the send more blood to their ears to cool them down, when its cold less blood to stop them losing heat. I imagine if you bury your fingers into his fur, his skin will be nice and warm. They tend to be cold on the surface but snuggly warm inside.

Okay, when i get home i'll do the "bury fingers in fur" check (any excuse to cuddle him - he is absolutely gorgeous :love:)

I was thinking of filling a cardboard box with some hay and putting that in the run in the hope that he will go in it?

The run is only partially covered at the moment (by the hutch itself) and I think OH and I are planning to cover the run roof totally in plastic so if he insists on being out all the time, then at least he will be drier!

Any other suggestions on run shelters?? My other rabbit has an igloo, but he never goes in it :roll: and it's too small for Thumper to have.

I think I may have to be big and brave and go the PAH at the weekend (hate the place, but nowhere else to go) and get some tubes etc for him.

Kerina

hutch size

Did you really mean the hutch was 3ft by 1ft?? Not surprised he doesn't want to go in.
Sally Machall used to say re hutch and run sizing: 'if you wouldn't keep a a cat in it don't put a rabbit in it'

I am hoping this was a typo.

Yes the hutch is 3ft x 1ft, this is not a typo.

I have only found out by joining this forum that this is not be enough for him and as I posted I am getting the big 6ft happy hutch combo in about a month once we've paid out the £1500 for our car that has gone majorly wrong.

In total floor space he has 24/7 access to a 15sq ft run plus the 3sq ft hutch.

I am prepared for you all to slate me - i know it's too small but I accept this and will be getting a bigger one.

My previous rabbit who was the same size as Thumper used it no problem, but this is no reason for me to keep it - I know that.

I absolutely love my rabbits and have learnt so much from this site, but these things take money to rectify - I could spend my vet money on getting him a new hutch, but then what if he is ill.

I will sort this as soon as I can.

In the meantime, any constructive help and advice is greatly appreciated

Kerina

Did you really mean the hutch was 3ft by 1ft?? Not surprised he doesn't want to go in.
Sally Machall used to say re hutch and run sizing: 'if you wouldn't keep a a cat in it don't put a rabbit in it'

I am hoping this was a typo.

Kerina explanined she knew it was too small and in getting a replacement next month. Jumping on people like that is not the way to make new members feel welcome :?

Kerina, how about investing in a snugglesafe for cold nights? http://www.snugglesafe.co.uk/heatpad.htm and put lots of soft straw in his bedding area.

I wouldn't bring him in as the change in temp would be bad for him

Hi louise

Thanks for your support! The snugglesafe looks great - I think I'll try this one out!! There would be no harm in putting this in his hutch for the night, even if he doesn't sleep on it and least it would make his hutch warmer when he does go in!!

(Might get one for me to :lol:)

Also, as I don't stay up all night to watch him, I can't be sure that he is out all night - it's just he's out when I go to bed and when I get up in the morning.

I just don't want him to be cold! I hate being cold so he must hate it to!

Kerina
xxx

My rabbits both have free access to outside run. I am amazed at the weather that they will sit outside in. They both at times have had realy cold ear's but dont seen to have sufferd. They have ample inside warm space to go into but chose to get cold and sometimes wet. At other times they sit looking out at bad wether looking realy fed up and dont come out!

how about a big cardboard box on it's side with hay and the heat pad in. maybe put it right next to the hutch for extra wind shelter. it's cheap! mine sleep in an old pet carrier with towels in the bottom, 2 big french lops squash themselves in. idiots!

and u have my support on the hutch thing too. i'm very poor and hate getting slated on here when i hesitate to run to the vet for every slight thing. i'm sure he'll be fine for a while with the box thing as long as he's eating

My bunnies spend most of their time in their run, and I have asked the same question in the past, but it would seem a lot of rabbits like being out in the run rather than the hutch. I have a litter tray in the run which they like to sit in (presumably the concrete is cold this time of year!!). On really bad days such as yesterday they do retreat to the hutch but it does have to be very windy or rainy for this to happen... Is your run covered up? I use tarpauline to cover mine, so only the sides are exposed for air circulation.. I personally wouldn't shut him up in the hutch bit as it is a bit small and if he's happy in the run, leave him to enjoy the space. Mine have the 6ft x 2ft Happy Hutch/Run and although the hutch is big they still use it mainly as a litter tray and dining room!!

Are you planning on eventually getting him a friend? That can help as they then have someone to snuggle up to to help keep warm :)

Last edited:
As your bunnies hutch is about the same size as my bunnyies litter tray :lol: no really - it is :shock: clearly he needs to be in the run all night, so don't think making the hutch cosy will make him spend time in there - he probably sees it as a toilet. Don't worry about cold ears - like Tamsin said that's how they regulate their temperature. I do like my rabbits to have warm ears first thing in the morning though, as it means they've been nice and warm and cosy all night :) Mine like to be in their run all night too, which is underneath their hutches, on concrete - what's your's based on?

Because they insist on being in their run, I make it cosy for them by putting in a big plastic, underbed storage box full of hay (make sure the run is high enough for him to be able to jump into it though) and I cover the hutch/run over with rugs, panels of plyboard, plastic sheet etc. which are held in place with various bits of junk and bricks etc. Not only does this mean they are out of the cold all night, but they are also safe from predators, or from being frightened to death by a cat or something. It takes about 20 mins for me to cover both hutches up and secure it all, but it's a good workout - I don't need to pay for the gym :)

hi, I have recently bought a 'happy hutch' hutch and run as you described. Try checking on ebay for them as they offer them as a bidding option and if you keep trying over a period of time you can get lucky and get them cheaper than from their site directly. There is a search option that lets you see all the ones that have sold before so you can see what kind of price they go for.
As for keeping warm you could always put old carpet or some other cover over to keep the wind out and make it more sheltered or a second bunny for it to snuggle up to when you have the larger hutch.

Snap!!

:wave: I have exactly the same problem with my bunnie. He has a lovely hutch with a snugglesafe put in every night but he still prefers to be down in the run, whatever the weather. I was very worried about this until I've joined this forum & read about others being the same. Obviuosly that's what they prefer. I bought him an igloo for some shelter in the run, at first he was just playing with it but now he does go in it, but it seems only during the day, at night he's out jumping around, rain, hail, or snow!
I feel a bit easier now that I know Izzy is not a one off :lol:

HELLO AND WELCOME:wave:

DONT WORRY ABOUT THE SIZE OF THE HUTCH FOR THE MOMENT,A GOOD LOVING HOME IS MORE IMPORTANT,MY NEW BUNNIES ARE IN THE RUN ALL THE TIME TOO,I AM BUYING A WOODEN HUT TO PLACE IN THE RUN AND ALSO A SNUGGLE SAFE,WHILST I AM WAITING FOR IT TO ARRIVE I AM PUTTING A CARDBOARD BOX OUT FULL OF HAY.I HAVE A HAPPY HUTCH AND RUN WHICH I BOUGHT OFF EBAY AS IT WAS CHEAPER THAN THEIR STORE ONLINE,THEN I REALISED IT WAS A BIT TOO SMALL AND I RANG THEM AND THEY ARE GOING TO EMAIL ME A PRICE FOR AN EXTENSION TO IT ON MONDAY.THEY HAVE GREAT BARGAINS ON EBAY.I SAW A THISTLE HALL FROM PETS AT HOME WITH COVER AND ACCESSORIES GO FOR £45 THE OTHER DAY,IF YOU LET US KNOW WHAT AREA YOU LIVE IN I AM SURE SOMEONE WILL LOOK OUT FOR SOMETHING FOR YOU.ANYWAY ENJOY YOUR NEW BUNNY AND AGAIN WELCOME TO THE FORUM
JACKIE:wave:

Wow, thanks for all the response!

:wave: Morning everyone!

Well, thank you so much for all your replies!

Just to update you all - over the weekend we have introduced a cardboard box on its side full of hay, which he LOVES!! He pulls the hay out a bit and sits in the middle chomping on it all day! Also, he loves sitting on top of the box :roll:, then standing right up on his back legs and he can just about reach the top of the run, then he nicks stray bits of hay from the top of it :lol:

We have also covered the run over in plastic sheets which wasn't all that successful TBH because we have used the big clear plastic bags which our hay comes in cut up so it is all in pieces. However, I'm going to B&Q at lunch time to see if I can get a really big piece of plastic instead.

We got Thumper from our local rescue which is called Redgate Farm Animal Sanctuary. We had to wait until all our references had come back as ok before we could take him, but it was worth the wait - he is so gorgeous!!

We are in Leicester so if anyone notices a good sized hutch/run on Ebay in our area, then please let me know!

Also, if anyone can advise the cheapest place to get a snugglesafe???

Kerina

Hello and welcome :wave: I'm not far away from Redgate myself! :D Nice to have more people from Leicester area. We have bunny mum meet ups and our next one is in Nottingham for a pizza night at the end of Feb if you fancy coming? There is a thread in General chat about it :D

I have a hutch from Happy Hutch, here is my set up - http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=115914

I'm sure as a tempory home your hutch will be fine until you can afford a bigger one. Mine cost £126. Rabbit's can be very expensive pets, i spend a small fortune on mine! :oops::lol:

Back