• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Handwash effective against E.Cuniculi

Nicola3

Mama Doe
Hello,

I'm trying to keep everything as clean as poss. Is there any kind of handwash/liquid that I can use that is effective against E.Cuniculi?
I use hibiscrub and have gloves for cleaning out the rabbits.

What can I use to keep my hands clean?

Thank you,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Bleach is the most effective thing for killing EC spores. I have a feeling that most cleaners are not harsh enough to eradicate it. I cant remember of Virkon or Trigene are effective.

Hi Sooz :wave:,

Thanks for replying. Is there nothing else I can use directly on my hands?
I did use bleach last night but my hands stank for absolutely ages of bleach and at this rate they're going to look like shrivelled pink prunes.

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Hi Sooz :wave:

Just looked Trigene up and this is what it says, not sure whether it's effcetive against E.C. Does anybody else know?

TriGene ADVANCE Animal Health
MEDICHEM has recently formulated a revolutionary new disinfectant product, TriGene ADVANCE, for the animal health and environmental market. The new TriGene ADVANCE replaces the TriGene II product

The brand new TriGene ADVANCE disinfectant combines enhanced active ingredients with nano particulate technology. This combination enables the rapid penetration of cell walls of microorganisms and therefore is able to work more quickly than conventional disinfectants. By lowering the surface tension using a unique combination of surfactants, the nano particulates carrier system enables the active ingredients to reach previously impenetrable surfaces and requires a lower dilution of active ingredients to achieve high level disinfection.

TriGene ADVANCE High level Surface Disinfectant can be used for all reception areas, surfaces and equipment in veterinary surgeries and for all disinfection applications in kennels, catteries and other animal habitats.

TriGene ADVANCE is available as concentrate in the following colour/fragrances sizes:

clear unfragranced,green citrus, yellow lemon, blue eucalyptus and mauve lavender fragrance
1 litre self dosing bottles for ease of dilution
5 litre
20 litre
and also as
500ml Clear Unfragranced Ready to Use Trigger Spray at 1:100 for food industry use
500ml Green Citrus Fragranced Ready to Use Trigger Spray at 1:100 for general purpose use
TriGene ADVANCE is also available as clear unfragranced 500ml Ready to use Trigger Spray at 1:100 specifically for aquarium, vivarium and aviary use, yellow lemon fragranced 500ml Ready to Use Trigger Spray at 1:100 for other pet habitats and as 1 litre self dosing yellow lemon fragranced concentrate.
Unopened concentrate has a shelf life of 3 years, factory diluted product has a shelf life of 2 years and customer diluted of 6 months.

TriGene ADVANCE can be used at a dilution of:

1:200 for economic general purpose use in intermediate risk areas
1:100 for high risk areas
TriGene ADVANCE is safe, flexible and economical to use.

TriGene ADVANCE is certified using EPA approved and EN protocols as:

Bactericidal
Fungicidal
Virucidal
Mycobactericidal
Sporicidal
At recommended dilution rates and contact times TriGene is compatible with:

metals
painted surfaces
plastics
fibreglass
leather
all kinds of flooring including those in kennels and catteries
a variety of fabrics including examination tables

As I understand it, bleach is the only thing that kills the spores. I use rubber gloves when I empty, and wash the litter trays and soak them once a week in bleach for half hour.

I think the best thing would be to invest in a box of disposable latex gloves. I really cant remember if it Coccidia that only bleach is effective against or Coccidia and EC.

Bleach it is then :shock:. I have washing up rubber gloves and those disposable ones. Only thing with the disposable ones is that they tend to fall off my hands as the gloves are big and my hands are small. Will persevere.

Thank you,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Bleach is effective against EC but not coccidia.

Ah yep just remembered, Its Jeyes fluid thats effective against Coccidia. I, of all people, should know that :( I still have a wopping great big bottle of it in the cupboard. Horrid stuff.

I make up a bleach solution in a spray bottle and spray it, before leaving for half hour, then rinsing well. You can also spray gloves and washing up brushes. I even bleach the tea towels I use for all the animals, before putting them in the washing machine.

That's a good idea. How much bleach to water? I bought some jeyes a while back to clean the outdoor runs. You could strip paint with that stuff. I ended up buying a huge tin of it as they didn't have any small ones.

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Remember to bleach your dustpans, brushes and scrapers between hutches/cleans too. I carry a big bucket of bleach (1:3) and boiling water about with me.

Back