• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Panacur liquid & paste. Wots the difference?

Nicola3

Mama Doe
Hi friends

I know that there are two products available for treating rabbits for internal parasites-the liquid and the paste that comes in a long syringe type thing which says its specially for rabbits.

Last time I treated Harvey with the panacur liquid for the purpose of worming he didn't react well to it. He became very quiet and withdrawn and went off his food.

Is the panacur paste any different? Is it safer to use in buns? If the paste is less likely to upset him I will use that.

Can you help?

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Last edited:
You only need to get a smaller amount of the paste in (it's about 18% rather than 10%).

The paste is supposedly apple flavour.

Difficult to say whether he will like the taste better, but mine seem to :D

Hi friends

I know that there are two products available for treating rabbits for internal parasites-the liquid and the paste that comes in a long syringe type thing which says its specially for rabbits.

Last time I treated Harvey with the panacur liquid for the purpose of worming he didn't react well to it. He became very quiet and withdrawn and went off his food.

Is the panacur paste any different? Is it safer to use in buns? If the paste is less likely to upset him I will use that.

Can you help?

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Panacur Liquid and paste contain exactly the same active ingredient (Fenbendazole) It is just that the manufacturers of Panacur Rabbit caught on to the results of a study on EC and saw a gap in the market for a *licensed* product. Panacur Liquid is not licensed for Rabbits not because its unsafe but because the manufacturer did not go to the expense of getting it licenced, hence Panacur Rabbit (paste) filled the gap and made the manufacturers a tidy profit :rolleyes:

I always use Panacur Liquid as it is more economical when treating a lot of Rabbits. I also find it easier to get an accurate dose

Janex

our buns had panacur paste forever or so it seemed when parsley was very poorly with E Cunniculi and they hated it but we used to wipe it on their aws or nose and they licked it off, you only use a little bit too so it's easier to give

:wave:

Is the paste less likely to cause side effects than the liquid? It's just that last time Harv had the liquid panacur he became withdrawn and went off his food.
I just wonder if the apste is safer to use than the liquid.

Nicola and Harvey xxx

i dont know which is better but Parsley went from being unable to walk as a result of it to looking like he never had anything wrong with him!

Neither is any better than the other. There is some evidence which appears to indicate some rabbits may be inclined towards an upset stomach as a result of ingesting Fenbendazole.

This is a side effect much more commonly seen in dogs & cats (also known to exhibit nausea & vomiting).

this one is surposed to eliminate internal parasites (as well as lice/fleas etc)
the active ingrediant being Ivermectin instead of Fenbendazole.
personal experiance was that it wasn't as effective as panacur .

http://www.ardentpets.co.uk/rabbits...te-spot-on-4-pipettes-per-pack-/prod_138.html

There is no definitive evidence or research as yet to suggest Ivermectin is in anyway as effective as Fenbendazole in eradicating Encephalitozoon Cuniculi spores.

There is some research into using it in conjunction with Fenbendazole but no conclusions have been drawn to recommend its use as an alternative.

panacur and Lapizole

As well as the Panacur liquid and paste (I found the paste easier) there is also Lapizole which contains the same stuff but is in a pump action and easier to be accurate with dispensing. Also it is aniseed flavour and some buns even just lick it up from a saucer!!!!!!! I have had two do this!!!! and the others mostly do seem to like it and lick at the pump.

However as it is pumped you have to be careful to pump it sideways in the mouth and not shoot it down too quick.

twigs

if you were syringing the liquid he might have been upset because of that. I tried it when my vet gave me an alternative form better for smaller bunnys. I gave up and went back to the paste.......can i suggest a leaf of spring green and panacur sandwhich or if he's really fussy, add a bit of bananna.

Hi Friends,

Thanks for your replies.

It's not that he doesn't like to be syringed the meds. He is very good with syring feeds and meds and will jump into his hayrack to be fed so I have both hands free and he'll wait patiently.It is that last time I gave Harv panacur liquid for the purpose of routine worming he became very subdued and withdrawn and went off his food.

I have bought both the liquid and paste. The paste says to give 1 graduation per 2.5kg bodyweight. It doesn't say anything about 1 graduation up to 2.5kg bodyweight. It also states boldly on the front of the box it is recommended to accurately weigh your rabbit before dosing implying that you shouldn't give any more or less than is stated. Harv is only 1.3kg so that would mean he needed just over 0.5 of a graduation...how you measure that I don't know.

Ther isn't much written on the leaflet inside, doesn't list precautions or possible side effects.

Thanks for your help,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Nicola I have spoken to my vets about this and its a very safe medication. There is no lower age limit on the use of Fenbendazole and it is often given to weanling kits who have an infected mother (try measuring that out accurately).

I have been told to interpret it as up to 2.5kg, 5kg, 7.5gk and so on.

People have accidentally given their rabbits half a syringeful before without side effects (from not using the dose stopper).

Hi Sooz :wave:

Thank you :D I do worry as Harv had a bad reaction to the panacur liquid about a year ago. He had been fine before I gave him the panacur but after he had had it he became very withdrawn and went off his food and basically just looked miserable.

Do you think the paste has any other ingredient in it that makes it safer to use in buns than the liquid? I have both.

Thanks for all your help,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

P.S. Soz..one more question. You know when you say you routinely panacur your buns every 6 months or so. How many weeks panacur do you give them routinely?

Dose stopper - what dose stopper??? :oops:

Am I missing something here?

When I give my buns their one graduation each (both are on a 6 week course at the minute), I use my fingernail in one of the grooves to stop the syringe going further than the graduation, but I didn't know anything about a dose stopper??

Do tell me more!!!!!

Kerina

Wow - i'm gonna have a look when I get home!!

If I had a brain, i'd be dangerous!!! :roll:

Thanks very much for this!!

Kerina
xxx

Do you think the paste has any other ingredient in it that makes it safer to use in buns than the liquid? I have both.

P.S. Soz..one more question. You know when you say you routinely panacur your buns every 6 months or so. How many weeks panacur do you give them routinely?

If anything the paste has more additives because it has been specially 'flavoured' to be more paleatable. None of these should be dangerous however.

I now only use the 10% liquid at a rate of 0.2ml per kg (so if you want to be accurate its much easier). Having seen the new paste syringe design yesterday I would not attempt to use it anymore, the old style was far better.

I Panacur my own bunnies every 6 months due to the constant incoming and outgoing bonders and rescues. If I had a steady hosuehold it would be yearly and at times of high risk (getting a new rabbit or before boarding). I use 9 days UNLESS I suspect an active infection in which case the suspected carrier and its partner/s will have 6 weeks.

Back