• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

E.Cuniculi- questions.

Nicola3

Mama Doe
One of my rabbits has tested positive for E.Cuniculi. I know that a postive test only shows that they have been exposed and not that they have an active infection. I will be treating her with panacur now. It's four weeks of panacur isn't it?
After the four weeks how do you know whether she is clear or not?

Will another blood test show that it has gone from her system?

How often and when are spores shed in the urine?

Hoping you can help.

Thank you,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

New research suggests that due to the cyclical lifecycle and shedding of the EC spores 4 weeks is insufficient to eradicate an active EC infection. Instead the carrier and all 'in-contact' rabbits should be treated with 6 weeks of Panacur.

The blood tests for EC check for antibodies rather than the protozoa itself. The test is a 'titre' test. This means it needs to be repeated at least 3 times to get an accurate reading. It will show wether The antibodies are increasing- active infections, decreasing- declining infection or static- residual antibodies from a previous infection which is no longer active.

The titre test is used by some owners wary of vaccinating to test natural immunity (antibody levels) to certain diseases.

Hi Sooz thanks for your reply,

It is so complicated. I'm trying to read as much as I can about it. Moffat was tested 6 months ago and she was negative so within 6 months she has been exposed to E.C. At what stage are spores shed in the urine and how long are they shed for? Say from being the point of being exposed to E.C. at what point are the spores shed in their urine and how long for?

Thanks Sooz,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

The lifecycle is generally thought to be between 3 and 5 weeks from it being ingested by feacal oral contact to it being excreted. The infected rabbits itself is generally contagious for anything up to 3/4 weeks but the main concern is the excreted urine (but feaces also) as the spores shedded this way can survive in the environment for up to a month. Spores can be excreted for up to 3 months.

So potentially the infection can be spread for 5-5.5 months after the initial spores enters the rabbits body by adding the incubation period to the shedding period to the environmental survival period.

There is also the chance of the rabbit re-infecting itself if untreated meaning the cycle will be repeated if shedded spores are reconsumed. There is some suggestion spores may also be transmitted through inhalation.

Last edited:
Hi Sooz,

Thank you.

I just can't figure out how my bun caught it. She has lived with Ted for coming up to about 2 yrs now. Last August, 6 months ago, she was tested for E.C and it came back negative. She has spent time with Harv who also tested negative last year so I don't know how she's got it.

So she tested negative 6 months ago and now she has tested positive. I can't work how she could have picked anything up in six months.

Is it possible for a bun who has tested positive with EC to live with another bun and the other bun be negative?

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Is it possible for a bun who has tested positive with EC to live with another bun and the other bun be negative?

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Apparently yes.

You could have transfered it on cleaning equiptment, water bottles/bowls, your shoes. All they need to do is eat an infected spore. Thats why all rabbits should be Panacured annually IMO.

I agree with you Sooz - I am just about the Panacur mine again. Rolo had active EC last year and had terrible symptoms. We cleared her up with 6 weeks Panacur and lots of bleaching of her environment (Bleach seems to be the only thing that kills the spores when cleaning).
But in the last few weeks her coat has been looking nasty again and she is weezing again (all symptoms from last time), but thankfully no urinary incontinence yet or paralysis. I think she must have reinfected herself again from something in the hutch. I just don't see how I can beat it completely - it seems such a massive task. I suppose i'll just have to keep doing what I am doing :-(

I am awaiting my order of Panacur to come so we can start to treat it again.
Good luck x

Thanks Sooz,

I always try and keep everything as clean as poss to the point of bordering on being paranoid.
I only had her tested as I was thinking of bonding her to another couple of bunnies and as she tested negative only 6 months ago I thought that the test would come back negative so I was really shocked when the vet told me it had come back positive.

I have lots more questions so I hope you don't mind if I post them a bit later.

Thanks Sooz,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Hi Rabbers,

Did any of the other buns that had been in contact with Rolo become infected?

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Ozzie is her mate - my only other rabbit - and he was treated for 6 weeks too. But he's never shown any symptoms thank goodness. Though he is generally very strong and a happy little chappie.
He was very very upset when Rolo was ill though. He didn't know what to do bless him.

Back