• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What's the Matter with Tescos Greens?

Vanessa.B

Mama Doe
The bunnies who are normally at starvation point (or so they act!) are refusing to eat Tescos Greens. :?

Anybody elses bunnies on gone off them too? I am not a mad fan of them myself so haven't tried them but they look OK.

Will Tescos give me a refund if I take them back? :)

AT LAST!!!!!! thanks so much for reminding me - been meaning to ask this question myself as my guinea pigs - avid fans of greens for 2 years, have refused to eat them, pretty much, since December :shock: Rabbits still diving in as usual, but majority of my piggies won't touch them, or they'll leave most of a very small piece. We have been eating them though (had to!) - they look lovely and taste fine, but I guess 15 piggies can't be wrong (2 of them will scoff the lot still) - there has to be something wrong with them, and I do wash them so .....? :?

yes and my two two, i thought that they were being fussy but they used to love them but now will only east them if theres notthing else left...and even then its just a little rip off the top - not the demolition job they used to do. im puzzled!

My bunnies and piggies won,t eat tesco or morrisons spring greens,they will eat sainsburys though:?

Mine aren't tucking in either, I thought it was due to the weather as the Spring Greens do seem a bit limp.

Mine were not too keen on them, either. When I bought greens from Waitrose, they ate them straight away. Maybe the Tesco ones were grown with some strange fertilizer, that can have an effect on the taste.
Was going to get some more today, but the Tesco server has collapsed and so they lost my order. No home delivery for me. :(

Hmm now I could be completly wrong but isn't spring greens a general term for the leaves of several different veg, so maybe a diferent kind is in season?? I could be talking **** by the way! LOl

Mine still eating them

I stoped shopping at Tesco because the quality of the fruit & veg went up and down like a yoyo. Obviously the Buns want better quality! :lol:

oh....i thought it was just becuase i was trying to make them a panacur sandwich that they were turning their noses up :lol::lol::lol: oh well, shopping tonight so it might be better.

My buns only seem to like the really dark green leaves, sometimes you get smaller, lighter green ones, they dont like those. And my piggies just dont seem to like greens anyway, they'd rather have hay or grass.

Well this is really strange!!!

I bought some from Asda about 3 weeks ago and Barley wasn't very interested in them, so I bought some more from Tesco again Barley wans't very interested in them :? I was worried that he wasn't well, or was starting to have problems with his teeth or something (of course I panic first, think later), but he was still eating other fruit and veg and hay!

Bought another lot from Tesco and it has gone down much better, the ones I bought this week have been ok as well (although smaller "plants" if you get my meaning).

I kind of glad it's not just Barley... phew!!!

Hannah

Same here both Tescos and Asdas Greens havent been of the best quality for a few weeks now, so I'm assuming thats why my lot havent been as keen. They definately seem a bit limper and lack 'crunch', but I've just found some lovely Greens at a local greengrocer and cheap too... they all tucked in today!

Well as you are clever plant woman I'll take your word for it :D Someone told me they were the top of sweeds and things :oops:

They can be, as the term is used for all sorts of leaves, mainly from cabbage type plants.
Here's what Wikipedia says:

Spring greens are a cultivar of Brassica oleracea in the cultivar Acephala Group, similar to kale, in which the central leaves do not form a head or form only a very loose one. It is considered to be closer to wild cabbage than most other domesticated forms, and is grown primarily in northern Europe, where its tolerance of cold winters is valued for an early spring supply of edible leaves. The Cultivar Group Acephala also includes curly kale and collard greens, which are extremely similar genetically.

The term is also used more loosely to refer to thinnings and trimmed-off leaves of other types of Brassica, including turnip and swede leaves, surplus thinned out young cabbage plants and leaves from cauliflower and brussels sprouts.

In all cases, the leaves, being loose, are fully exposed to light, and so are dark green, coarse, often tough, and more strongly flavoured than many people prefer, but are also particularly rich in vitamin C, folic acid and dietary fibre, making them a very healthy food.

Guinea pigs are not interested in them at all...
Bunnies will eat them but only when all the other veg has gone. How strange.

Still being gobbled down here too!
They have been reduced for a little while now through so maybe Tesco got a bulk deal or are using a different supplier or something?

Back