• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding my bunnies right now - failed

oscarbunny

Warren Veteran
They are currently in the bathtub...

Oscar and Benji are scuffling (bum biting) a little but the fighting doesnt last long, Benjamin is being submissive. I havn't had to break it up yet...

Is this normal or should i stop it now.

opal is also going around or was humping everyone!! I would say her and oscar are the dominant ones of their pairs. Polo is just sat in a corner of the tub and benji is hiding behind opal...

Last edited:
Sounds fine, just keep your nerve and try not to interfere :wave:

I could not do this all the time, its awful. Im really hating it. I need moral support from everyone! The girls arent bothered, its just the boys... what should i expect next?

Have you got a water spray or broom to hand? Its better for splitting them up than diving in hands first.....
1.You touch them and transfere scent
2.You will likely get bitten (I have the scars to prove it and the little ******* hand on).

Polo has just joined benji and still sleeping opal and is THUMPING very loudly, she is not impressed. Now benji, polo and oscar have just had a scuffle... and now benj and oscar... but benji is backing off again..... (these scuffles seem to last around 3 seconds each is this normal??)

hope you are liking this running commentary...

Oscar has a bite on his nose i have noticed when benji has nipped him. Theres is a speck of blood... Should i now stop... or continue??

Benji is backing away from oscar every time he tries to approach him..

Opal is still alseep and benji is lying down again

only just read this

if you have blood drawn..i would think why are you bonding?

if when you have a 4 the rabbits will benefit then continue..
but as you have 2 happy pairs...do you need to push on if one has a bad bite?

you're braver than me..I tried my own four together and gave up quite quickly:oops:

Make sure you clean the wound with warm salt water and montior it closely for infection (seen as it gets shoved near the bum quite a lot :oops:).

When they scuffle are they aunching at each other (lunging) or nipping and circling. Is there any vocals?

I have to agree with Jill. From what I have seen with my own bunnies, the pairs are the happiest. Luna is ok in the trio, but she still gets chased once in a while and is lowest in the pecking order. Sunnie was even lower in that group, and is so much more active and happy with her own friend now, as a pair.
If you want to continue, you will get many more little or big fights, it can take many weeks until the pecking order has been established. And one or two of the bunnies may then be unhappy.
Also, even if things are ok in the bathtub and some other neutral area, the chasing and biting will start again as soon as you put them in their new accomodation outdoors.
You will need strong nerves and a lot of time to watch them. Good luck if you decide to continue, but don't feel bad if you decide to stop.

I couldnt do it anymore, i have stopped. I didnt like it at all, and i thought that the buns were becoming too stressed. I was wrong to attempt to bond them, i should have just left them as they were, as they are very happy. I am quite angry at myself for putting them through that, it was unfair and selfish of me.

The only positive thing to have come from this is that Opal and Benjamin are now in the massive shed loving it, and are very happy. This is the way it was meant to be. I am happy with the ways things are. Polo and Oscar will be getting their own shed too.

Benjamin has a small bite on his back so he is at the vets later, other than that all nips etc were superficial, so i am pleased in that respect.

Thanks everyone for your support and advice. I am in a strange way pleased with the outcome, as i now know that all buns concerned are happy in their pairs.

Joanne x

Back