• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Purpose of Cross Breeding?

honeybunny

Wise Old Thumper
I don't want this to turn into an us and them argument between rescues and breeders...but would like to know this
..in previous discussions various breeders have said they breed to improve the breed standards ..not to make money...
and they are careful where their rabbits go..

is there a demand for particular types of cross?

Last edited by a moderator:
also some breeders will cross breed to make new breeds my friend holds the certificate for devloping the plush lop which is basically a dwarf lop with a rexes coat.

also some breeders will cross breed to make new breeds my friend holds the certificate for devloping the plush lop which is basically a dwarf lop with a rexes coat.

Sounds like a mistake to breed a heavy rabbit with a rex coat :shock: :?

Also a dwarf lop sits upright and leans back on its hocks.

Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me...hope it doesn't catch on

Sounds like a mistake to breed a heavy rabbit with a rex coat :shock: :?

Also a dwarf lop sits upright and leans back on its hocks.

Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me...hope it doesn't catch on

Though dwarf lops don't grow as big as standard rexes, and don't all rabbits sit up upright leaning on their hocks. I know my two rexes certainly do, more so than my dwarf lop did.

they already have such a breed in Australia so im not sure about here.
to be honest alot of our own old english breeds are dying out i would rather some one worked on them than create a new one:cry:

Though dwarf lops don't grow as big as standard rexes, and don't all rabbits sit up upright leaning on their hocks. I know my two rexes certainly do, more so than my dwarf lop did.

No, breed standards for dwarf lops say that they must sit upright, don't think rexes have to.

I don't want this to turn into an us and them argument between rescues and breeders...but would like to know this
..in previous discussions various breeders have said they breed to improve the breed standards ..not to make money...
and they are careful where their rabbits go..

so why is there a breeder who has argued the above case selling cross breeds on free ads???

is there a demand for particular types of cross?

I'm with you on this, can't see the point of cross breeding. I know people do it trying to develop new breeds but I'm sure we have enough breeds already without creating more :shock: Besides you ahve to have so much room to keep so many kits, and you end up with so much 'waste' going into the pet market. Seems daft to me and I can't imagine why anyone would do it, but each to their own I suppose - if someone hadn't cross bred French Lops and Dwarf Lops 30 years ago I wouldn't have my German Lops now! But then if they never existed I would never have wanted them, so maybe I've just cancelled out my own arguement..... :? :lol:

I dont agree with cross breeding to invent new breeds when there are some lovely breeds already that are sadly becoming fewer and fewer.

But with a rex coat? :?

As pointed out, Dwarf lops weigh less than a standard rex, and standard rexs on the continent sit up right. So health wise I can't see any issues with breeding plush dwarf Lop - well aside from maloclusion along the way form the completely different jaw shapes :roll:

Personally I can't see the point in creating them, a Dwarf lop looks good because of its big cheeks and bold head - this image is created by long fur. I can't see you'll ever get their rexed counterparts looking the same - the coat is too short to do it.

I'm with you on this, can't see the point of cross breeding. I know people do it trying to develop new breeds but I'm sure we have enough breeds already without creating more :shock: Besides you ahve to have so much room to keep so many kits, and you end up with so much 'waste' going into the pet market. Seems daft to me and I can't imagine why anyone would do it, but each to their own I suppose - if someone hadn't cross bred French Lops and Dwarf Lops 30 years ago I wouldn't have my German Lops now! But then if they never existed I would never have wanted them, so maybe I've just cancelled out my own arguement..... :? :lol:

:lol:

I really cant understand the logic of wanting to create a new Breed :?
I make no secret of being against breeding at all *but* if the argument is to 'better the breed' then at least the breeders motives are to benefit the Rabbit.
But why have a specilised breed that you want to 'better' and yet also cross-breed for the Pet trade :?
Whilst I adore my Velveteens I wish they had not been 'created' as there have been many problems during 'manufacturing'. Sore hocks and malocclusion being just 2. Apparently to try to breed out the sore hocks the idea was to reduce the size/weight of the Velveteen. To achieve this a Dwarf Lop was bought into the gene pool. But it also bought in malocclusion. This has apparently now been 'irradicated' but at the cost of how many lives :cry:

I cant say I regret *buying* Lord Lopsley, my first Velveteen. But had I known then what I know now I could not have done so. It saddens me to think of how irresponsible we humans can be when we try to tamper with nature for *our* benefit

Janex

As pointed out, Dwarf lops weigh less than a standard rex, and standard rexs on the continent sit up right. So health wise I can't see any issues with breeding plush dwarf Lop

I know the velveteen lops have a problem with sore hocks.

well aside from maloclusion along the way form the completely different jaw shapes :roll:

Very true..and all just for provide some breeder with a fun new 'toy' :(

(Posted at the same time as Jane :lol: )

but "if" this is developement of a new breed why sell them cheaply to any Tom D*ck or Harry on free ads?

the whole justification of "I'm only improving the breed"..seems to fall apart if someone is crossing common breeds and supplying pet shops garden centres or selling them on free ads?????

Surely it would make more sense to concentrate on the breeds the person already has good "stock" of??

I imagine the people selling on freeads are the type to cross x with y because it looks cute and will sell better rather than any particular goal to improve breeds. It's the same as you see odd named 'breeds' in pet shops that no one else has ever heard of.

Tam

but "if" this is developement of a new breed why sell them cheaply to any Tom D*ck or Harry on free ads?

the whole justification of "I'm only improving the breed"..seems to fall apart if someone is crossing common breeds and supplying pet shops garden centres or selling them on free ads?????

Surely it would make more sense to concentrate on the breeds the person already has good "stock" of??

I agree Jill. I can only see one possible motive........to make money. Although I doubt there is much profit in it for the breeder. So why do it, especially if the breeder has insight of the situation re the over-population of Pet Rabbits
If they must breed then why not concentrate on one type

:?

Janex

I'm afraid it rings the bell that sets off my need for trifle ....

I think this is why some of us who really do have the needs of the animal as out top priority get so frustrated....

Back