• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Zinzan has a head tilt. :( Lots of healing vibes please...

toffee

Mama Doe
Hi. I'm working in Derby at the mo but I had to go home this aft because my OH called to say he's taken Zinzan to the vet with a head tilt. :( Fairly obviously EC. :( She's staying in hospital tonight. Hopefully I can go get her tomorrow.

Her head is tilted forward and to the right. It doesn't look horrendous but apparently she was worse this morning. Her right lower eyelid is drooping too. She seems quite bright considering though. Hurrah for Rik doing the right thing and getting her straight to the vet. He really is a gem.

So now I'm going to have to treat all 8 rabbits with panacur. I'm not looking forward to that.

Does anyone know if rabbits recover completely from a head tilt? Or do they still have a head tilt after treatment? I don't mind either way, I love her to bits. Just wondering what to expect.

Last edited:
head tilt may 'right'

Of the three cases I have had, one is now almost unnoticeable - say 5 degrees (was about 60 degress and much the worst with eye flickering, thrashing around etc); another is now about 10 degrees - but he had it as a 'fit' as a baby and has part paralysed face as well, and the other just looks a bit wonky when he gets tired or stressed. His was not very bad to start with.

In all cases they have 'righted' themselves very considerably.

twigs

Oh. That's good then. I wouldn't mind having a disabled bunny. In fact I promised her when I adopted her that I would do everything I couldfor her to keep her happy. But, obviously, I would rather she was well and not disabled.

The vet said that she will probably get worse over the next 72 hours before she starts to improve.

I just want to get her back home. I think she'll recover much better in a familiar environment with all her friends there and where she knows she's cared for.

I took teddy in tis afternoon to stay over with her because I thought it would be less stressful for them both if they were together. Thankfully my vet listens to me and even predicted when my OH took ziz in this morning that I would prefer to treat her at home. I think that's important. I'm sure she'll recover quicker in a familiar environment and with me treating her. At least she knows she can trust me. Apparently she was not at all happy with being at the vet this morning. I just wish I could have been there to comfort her.

Make sure you use a 6 week course of panacur on Zinzan and 'incontact' rabbits.

I assume an inner ear infection had been ruled out before EC was diagnosed?

I hope she makes a full recovery for you.

Make sure you use a 6 week course of panacur on Zinzan and 'incontact' rabbits.

I assume an inner ear infection had been ruled out before EC was diagnosed?

I hope she makes a full recovery for you.

Yeah. It's her eye as well so pretty sure it's EC. I collected her today and she's a bit better. Her head tilt seems to have straightened but she's still dozy and keeps stopping to rest.

Morning all.

Zinzan seems well this morning. I left her busily tucking into her breakfast. We'll be going for a checkup on Saturday.

Back