• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby Rex Eye Problem!!! Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay my mini rex Chloe had 3 babies 3 weeks ago. Last night I noticed that one of the babies has a big lump on its eye, and its eye is completely shut. i dont remember it's eye ever being open. The lump is really hard, and all around it, its swollen and it appears to be hurting him. Does anyone know why, or what it is, or what caused this?

Well Im a breeder, and the vets around here are all very expensive. It would probably cost me like $50 just to get him checked over, that is if there was nothing wrong with it. But my boyfriend and I cant really afford to take him to the vet because we just sell our babies.

If the eye hasn't opened yet there is definitely something wrong. As the rabbits owner you are legally (and morally) responsible for getting it vet treatment. You could try contacting your local vets/humane society to see if they have free/cheap clinics.

If you can't find anywhere you can afford you'll need to sign the rabbit over to a shelter.

Personally I would be concerned if you can't afford to take him to have an examination, what happens when you other buns are ill? Sorry, I'm not having a go at you, just concerned that as a breeder you are not doing the best for your rabbits :?

I hope you do manage to find out what is wrong with him and he can be treated.

Well Im a breeder, and the vets around here are all very expensive. It would probably cost me like $50 just to get him checked over, that is if there was nothing wrong with it. But my boyfriend and I cant really afford to take him to the vet because we just sell our babies.

The eye may be malformed and/or infected. At 3 weeks both eyes should be open, as a breeder I assume you know that. You could try bathing the eye with a sterile saline solution to see if the lids part and if any pus is released.

What a shame that you have chosen to breed Rabbits in the full knowledge that you cant afford any Veterinary treatment they may require.
Is there a charitable animal welfare organisation over there that could take the Baby off you. Even if it is just to put him/her out or his/her suffering

:cry:

Janex

Okay the thing is, I just had a baby 2 months ago. He pretty much takes all our extra money away. As for saying that we're bad breeders, we dont do it to jus make money. Things are probably a lot different where you all live than they are here. We only breed as a hobby of ours because I love baby rabbits. As for the others, theyre all healthy.

Don't think people saying you a bad breeder, but there are too many rabbits in the world that are kicked out on streets, dumped at shelters and god knows what happens to the others out there! Please stop breeding them! Too many people get rabbits thinking, stick them in the hutch, throw in some food and they be fine, its just a rabbit. I don't agree with anyone breeding rabbits, dogs, cats etc whether it be for a hobby or money, there are far too many animals in this world that get kicked to the gutter!

Okay the thing is, I just had a baby 2 months ago. He pretty much takes all our extra money away. As for saying that we're bad breeders, we dont do it to jus make money. Things are probably a lot different where you all live than they are here. We only breed as a hobby of ours because I love baby rabbits. As for the others, theyre all healthy.

You may 'love baby Rabbits' but you have a moral responsibility for making sure you can provide adequate care for them. This appears not to be the case.

Whats done is done now and I think you need to think long and hard before persuing your 'hobby' of bringing lives into the world that you cannot afford to care for
I am sorry if this sounds harsh but as a Rabbit carer I find it over-whelmingly distressing and frustrating that this situation has occured. After all you must have mated up your Rabbits *after* you had your baby. What, exactly, did you imagin you would do if there were to be problems

I just hope the poorly Baby Rabbit will get the help he/she has a right to

I will say no more as I am way too angry and upset..............

Janex

Okay Im not going to tell anybody I know that has rabbits to join this site. All you guys are doing is judging me because i cant afford to pay a bunch of money for a little baby I intend on selling for like $10. You dont know me, therefore u shouldnt judge me. I came on here TRYING to find some sort of help, and all you guys keep saying is the same thing "GO TO A VET" well I already called my vet, the closest vet around, and he is going to charge me $75 to just have a look. So what if it needs to be put to sleep? Okay then I have to pay an extra $20 to get it put down. therefore paying $95 for a rabbit I intended on selling in the first place. Im not a bad breeder, because I find homes in advance for my babies. But this site is pathetic. Everyone on here LIVES for their rabbits. My rabbits are pets as well, but also are breeders. Ive done a lot of research and I cant find anything close that explains this.

Like I said, I find homes, GOOD homes for my animals before I even think about breeding. As for doing it as a hobby, its a way to make a little extra money, to make back what we put into our adult rabbits. As for the whole "What did u think you would do if there was problems?" well thats easy. If its something that wont go away on its own, we put them down. EASY AS THAT. I AM a breeder. They make money. I dont buy bunnies just to have them look cute and be played with as pets. And as for what someone said about stop breeding, I wont. Around here, rabbits are in HIGH demand. Like I said, its different where ever all you other people live. If you go to a shelter, there may be one rabbit there. WOW!! Like seriously, you guys are all way too stuck up, and I dont have time for this. I came on here lookin for help and all you guys are doing is criticizing and tryin to act like your completely better than anyone else.!

This site has saved many of our rabbits lifes with the advice from people like Jane & Sooz and plenty of others here with years of experience!

Maybe it's just a matter of us Brits loving animals more than some other countries! All anyone wants is what's best for the animals!

If you breed rabbits for a hobby and then sell them but can't afford to take to the vets, than how about the people you sell too, can they afford it, do theyb look after the rabbit and let it run around the house or garden for hours at a time and meet all a rabbits other needs!

I'm sure someone may come along soon who may have some knowledge or maybe had experience of the problem you have with the baby bun!

I live a lot closer to you than the rest of the forum, and I still do not agree with what you're doing. Just because over-population of rabbits might not be as big of a problem in the US as it is in the UK (where the majority of this forum is located) does not give you the right to "play God" with your rabbits. They are living creatures who deserve to be treated as such, not just money making machines.

The babies i currently have and are selling, are for either pets for a little kid, or as breeders also. And no, I dont let my rabbits run in the garden and what not. First off, they would probably get away, second, theyre inside rabbits so they get to run around inside when I let them. As for, like I said earlier, paying for the "needs", the people I sell them to, will probably shoot them if they cant afford to help them. In the long run, paying $10 for a rabbit, and then have to pay like $200 in vet fees alone, plus about $75 for food, and accesories and stuff. Its not worth it

Like I said, I find homes, GOOD homes for my animals before I even think about breeding. As for doing it as a hobby, its a way to make a little extra money, to make back what we put into our adult rabbits. As for the whole "What did u think you would do if there was problems?" well thats easy. If its something that wont go away on its own, we put them down. EASY AS THAT. I AM a breeder. They make money. I dont buy bunnies just to have them look cute and be played with as pets. And as for what someone said about stop breeding, I wont. Around here, rabbits are in HIGH demand. Like I said, its different where ever all you other people live. If you go to a shelter, there may be one rabbit there. WOW!! Like seriously, you guys are all way too stuck up, and I dont have time for this. I came on here lookin for help and all you guys are doing is criticizing and tryin to act like your completely better than anyone else.!

33,000 rabbits in 2007 ended up in Rescue Shelters this year alone and that's not counting the probably thousands and thousands that get let loose in a field or dumped in rivers etc, or disposed of in some otherway if not just left to unknowingly die in it's hutch!

Were not stuck up, you came on here for advice and we have given it. You must of thought that some of us would think it's not right to breed animals just because it's a hobbie or too make some spare cash! Most of us on here don't have "Pet Rabbits" there part of the family the same as a dog or cat!

Hope you can help the poor bunny soon as it's obvious you love rabbits otherwise you would not of took the time to do research and come on here!

:shock::shock::cry::cry:I cannot believe what i am reading:evil::evil:
*Quickly shuts down computer and leaves*

well you came on here asking for help and you got it! we cant see this rabbits eye, you explained something that could be a number of things. someone suggested bathing the eye to get the pus out you havent acknowledged that someone suggested something you've just jumped on your bandwagon and gone off on one. the best thing you can do for this rabbit is TAKE IT TO THE VET!

we all care about our rabbits and some people on here breed but they also have a nice bone in their body that makes them care when a rabbit is sick and they get it the best possible care.

im sorry that people couldnt give you a miracle solution, we suggested what was best for the rabbit, if you arent happy with the answer then thats your problem, you asked, we helped - end of

I live a lot closer to you than the rest of the forum, and I still do not agree with what you're doing. Just because over-population of rabbits might not be as big of a problem in the US as it is in the UK (where the majority of this forum is located) does not give you the right to "play God" with your rabbits. They are living creatures who deserve to be treated as such, not just money making machines.

I dont try and play "God". So are you saying that when an abandoned kittme came to my house, and I did research and found out that with the cats symptoms, it pretty much had the cat version of aids. Which is VERY contagious, I personally have 8 cats but at the time had 11, and I didnt want my cats to get sick, plus this cat wasnt mine, and there is NO way to cure it, that it was wrong of my boyfriend and I to get it put down? I guess instead I shouldve let it get all my cats sick, and have them all die, because I shouldnt "Play" god. I get it now. I care more than you all think I do for my rabbits. If anything happened to ANY of my adults I would be heart broken. As for the babies, if you are a breeder you will no usually not all the babies make it, and Ive lost SEVERAL because my rabbits were first time moms. I spent all night crying everytime I lose one. So does that mean I dont care for my rabbits? Last night when I noticed his eye, I took pictures and sent it to my bf and cried and was worried. And I thought maybe someone on here could maybe have a clue as to what might be wrong. But in all reality, you all dont know anything about rabbits. All you go by is what your vets tell you! and whenever you hear a problem you instantly say "Go to the vet"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back