• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

for those with happy hutches

Crystal butterfly

Warren Veteran
ive um'd and r'd over whether to get one or not so thought id ask a few questions for those who have one,

ive been told that this hutch run combo is great but looking at it i wonder how easy it really is to clean out? looks to me like you have to stand in the run to clean it out? :? also how easy is it to clean the run out Misty isnt litter trained and just isnt getting it lol so the run would most likely need cleaned daily and i dont want to buy something thats going to be hard to clean out :? also is there a door thing in the hutch to stop the buns from accessing the run when appropriate of course? and where do you buy raincovers for the run?

god so many questions lol

You can put the hutch on the run like this:

120907a.jpg

Makes it easier to clean the hutch. The run is a bit trickier to clean, you need to do some crawling to get into the corners.
There is a trap door, a piece of wood that you can use to close the opening for the ramp. But it only works well, if you remove the ramp first.
For rain cover, you need to be inventive and make your own. We have perspex on the lid of the run and on 3 sides, and we also have a tarpauling hanging down from the back of the hutch and over the run.
It is an ok hutch for the price, I think.

That looks great :) Can I ask which happy hutch that is - I still can't decide what to get! :? Got about a month to decide though :) [sorry for slightly hijacking the thread!]

It is a 6 x 2 x 2 foot hutch and run combination. The run is 6 x 4 x 2 foot. They now make the hutch in shiplap instead of plywood, which is much better. I had a few problems with water leaking into the gaps between the plywood sides, we had to close them with sealant. We have a perspex window with a wooden frame that we hang at the front of the hutch when we are not at home and at night, to secure the doors and keep the bad weather out.
Some people said that the newer models have a run that is lower than 2 foot. I'd ask and make sure that you get the biggest possible dimensions.
Personally I like my Ryedale hutch better, the quality is really good, but you have to pay for it. It does not have a run, but I saw that they produce runs, too.

Back