• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

More questions about unexpected babies!

kaffmck

New Kit
I really don't know what the best thing to do with the Male rabbit (longterm) is. We have booked him in to be neutered tommorrow, but I am now in doubt if this is the best thing to do with the much loved pet of my 5yr old daughter? Would it be better to keep him permently in the other hutch? But the rabbit he has been seperated from and him were bought to be together as 2 females! Any advice would be appreciated. Thanx

Neutering is definitely the best thing for the male bunny. It's a very low risk operation nowadays. You might also find that his personality improves when all those male hormones have gone. Neutered bucks definitely make better pets.

Hiya,

Have you spoken to your vet about castration. For any rabbit experienced vet castration is a very routine op. Rescue centres general neuter all males that come in - which means hundreds every year.

Having watched your two rabbit together previously you may have noticed them grooming each other, sitting together, eating together, playing together and just generally hanging out. Once the babies have grown up, neutering will allow them to return to this.

I do think in general they'll be much happier if they have company of other rabbits. It will also prevent possible future problems, such as spraying urine, which may develop now your male is old enough to have his hormones.

Tamsin

i would personally neuter him so there will be no more unexpected babies you'll be amazed at how many male rabbits escape from runs and mate throgh bars :roll: but im aware that this is also a personal choice in the end of the day we can only advise but we cant make you do anything you dont want to do :)

neuterring will also make him none homonal which means your daughter could handle him without the fear of being scratched and bitten and you could also rebond him with teh female if he was neutered meaning he wouldnt be lonely and that he'd have someone to snuggle up to on cold nights :)

Neutering is the best thing for him and you. Plus once all the babies have grown up, get mummy bunny spayed and the pair can live happily together again.

Rabbits don't like to live alone generally. The best pairing is a neutered male and spayed female so you'll end up with 2 happy bunnies. Even if they were originally 2 girls and the bredding fiasco hadn't happened they'd have entually started fighting if left unspayed.

There are a lot of health benefits to neutering, not to mention behaviour benefits. If left unneutered he could get aggressive and possibly attack another animal, you or your daughter. This way he won't mark his territory to the same extent or start humping everything in sight.

Yeah, definitely get him neutered.
Also considering you have kids, some of them (or their friends) could be tempted to let the rabbits "play together" and before you know it you have another litter on your hands. Otherwise it may well even happen by accident, even older experienced owners can get accidental litters when they don't neuter their rabbits, even if they live separated.
Also I'm sure he'll make a better pet for your daughter once neutered;) Male rabbits are generally quite gentle, but they may spray (mine has a hobby of spraying down my neutered doe:shock:) and it's not pleasant to have a rabbit peeing on you, believe me:lol:

I'm sure your daughter would enjoy more having two happy bunnies living together instead of two lonely ones living alone.

Back