• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dermot Has Had a Major Relapse -U/D 1150hrs- Responding to Treatment :-)

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
After appearing to recover from his previous GI episode a few days ago ( he has a Pyloric Stenosis) Dermot has become very sick :cry:
He has had emergency treatment but at the moment it does not look good :cry:

I feel so bloody useless :cry::cry:

Janex

Last edited:
Oh no....poor Dermot and poor you Jane. Sending Dermot lots of get well vibes. When Harvs tum slows down I syringe feed him mashed up protexin profibre pellets and it seems to help keep his tum ticking over.

I hope he will be o.k.

Sending you both lots of love,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Oh no....poor Dermot and poor you Jane. Sending Dermot lots of get well vibes. When Harvs tum slows down I syringe feed him mashed up protexin profibre pellets and it seems to help keep his tum ticking over.

I hope he will be o.k.

Sending you both lots of love,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

I cant syringe anything but water into Dermot. The PS means his stomach does not empty properly into his small intestines. So putting food in when there is no-where for it to go would probably kill him

:cry:

Janex

I cant syringe anything but water into Dermot. The PS means his stomach does not empty properly into his small intestines. So putting food in when there is no-where for it to go would probably kill him

Janex

:cry: Poor Dermot.
Lots of tummy rubs x

Poor Dermot. You must feel awful at the moment Jane.
How is Dermot in himself? Does he look comfortable?

Hugs,

Nicola xxx

Poor baby. I hope he will show signs of recovery soon. Sending lots of positive vibes to Dermot.

Hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Jane, i've no idea how you cope with all this heartache. :cry:

I know i've never met you but i think your dedication is amazing, and i know most other people on here think the same.

Sending all the vibes i can for Dermot xxxx

So sorry Jane. :cry:

Do the painkillers (is he on opiates?) seem to be keeping him comfortable, if zoned out, or does he still appear to be in pain? It was awful when Caspian reached the stage where the Vetergesic had no effect, I felt bloody pathetic not even being able to take his pain away :cry:

So sorry Jane. :cry:

Do the painkillers (is he on opiates?) seem to be keeping him comfortable, if zoned out, or does he still appear to be in pain? It was awful when Caspian reached the stage where the Vetergesic had no effect, I felt bloody pathetic not even being able to take his pain away :cry:

I find a combination of Torbugesic and Metacam seems to help him most. He has that via injection and if appropriate Metoclopromide via injection. He also has Ranitidine orally along with warm Camomile + Spearmint tea.
His temperature always plummets so a heat pad is essential aswell as sub-cut Hartmans warmed to body temperature.

Dermot appears to be responding to treatment now. He is sitting up again and has started to drink his tea on his own. The trouble is I know this will keep happening :cry: One day I wont be able to get him through a 'crisis'. I dont know if I should let him go before that happens. With Dermot when he is over an 'episode' he is so well and happy. A friendly sociable little Bun who loves life. Then another 'episode' happens and he gets so sick :cry:
I dont know when I should call it a day. I know Christabel will tell me straight if she thinks it is unfare to keep treating his 'episodes' so I guess I will go with whatever she says

Janex

I found Caspian had trouble keeping himself warm during an episode too. There were plenty of times he slept on my chest under the covers so I could keep him warm with my own body heat. He was also receiving sub-q's 3-4 times daily in the end.

Whats the longest one of Dermots episodes has lasted? Caspians were mainly 2-4 days, the last one was on day 6 when we decided he had had enough.

Whats the longest one of Dermots episodes has lasted? Caspians were mainly 2-4 days, the last one was on day 6 when we decided he had had enough.

So far the longest episode has 'only' been 24 hours. But what seems to happen is he will go for a few weeks without having one, then two will occur a few days apart :? Nothing ever changes in his diet ( Hay, eggcupful of A+P pellets, tiny portion of dark leafy greens, water and *nothing* else) I am at a loss as to what triggers an attack :?

Janex

stick with it !

It really sounds from what you say that you feel that Dermot (and you) should keep going . . . I had another friend whose rabbit (for no known reason) would have these attacks. She stuck with it and he had many more happy years for the few horrid days. A heat pad is such a comfort - as is a loving human.

twigs

Back