• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not sure why she is doing this...?? (Bonding thing)

*Bex*

Mama Doe
Hi,

I've had Flopsy and Rory together since August/Sept last year. When they met he was the dominant one with all the mounting and i have seen him do it once or twice since. Never any fighting at all though.
But tonight they were just laid there and she gets up and starts mounting him :oops: :?
He just gets up and ran away. I think she might have done it the other day too, i heard them banging about but when i got there they had stopped so not sure?
Is this normal? I thought it was usually just one of them that did the mounting etc

The same is in our house at the moment! Our female has all of a sudden started to do the same. I have spoken with the vet (when recently there for injections) and apparently even though she has the snip, not everything can be removed in the op which means that she her hormones will go wild. Also with Spring around the corner, it's that time of the year! It will continue for a few weeks and should calm down. If it does get out of control, they would possibly operate to clear any bits.

Hope this helps.

humping is sometimes a dominance thing and maybe she just wants to be the boss. my Wispa humps Zola A LOT! she didnt when they were initially introduced, he humped her.

i read that its hard to be sure who the dominant bun is, in boy/girl pairs because in the wild they have two hierarchys, a male one and a female one.

Its quite possible for hierachy shifts to occur in pairs even after they have been bonded for sometime.

Sometimes there is an obvious cause, a change in environment or introduction of a new rabbit/pet into the household and other times there is no clear reason at all.

What is important is that they are allowed to resettle their heirachy with minimal interference. In other words unless someone is in danger let them get on with it and they will soon settle again.

The only real reason for you to have issues is if one rabbit will not back down and accept submission, this is when a fight may occur. However the fact your boy is backing off is a good sogn.

Thanks - no there was no agression when she did it in front of me, he just got up and hopped off. And when he used to do it to her she doesn't mind either.
Was a bit worried that they were falling out or something :?

Back