• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Your Experience With Cats & Rabbits??

Kibbles

Mama Doe
Well, going outside to check on Starsky, I saw a cat, staring at me with green, glowing eyes in my garden. :shock:
This cat had, I think, a bell on its collar, because every time it ran, something jingled like a bell. Anyway, I was a bit concerned. This cat seemed very shy as when I walked further into the garden, it jumped away over the fence. I know a lot of people have had good experience with cat and rabbits, but have any of you had a bad experience? My only concern is *if* the cat can get into the hutch, Starsky can get out.
Anyway, the cat ran over the fence but then I came back outside about 10 minutes later and it was there again! :?
Please share your thoughts.

Well, my own 2 cats have never bothered with the rabbits unless the rabbits keep bothering them then a quick biff round the ear from the cat soon sorts them out!

Are you worried about them when they are in their hutch, their run or when free ranging?

Cats are naturally curious... but I think most are quite wary of rabbits, at the same time. My cats are always slightly scared of my rabbits. At first, Barney and amber were each, in turn, scared of the cats. Hazel and Bella certainly are not. I'm not doubting for a moment that a cat is capable of killing a rabbit... but I think for the most part rabbits freak cats out a fair bit. Having said that, they're fun for them to watch. It can just be a bit unnerving for the bunny at first - and maybe for always if he or she never gets used to it. ^^

I dont think you should ever take a risk with cats you dont know. i know our cats used to pounce on huge birds and our neighbours cat always looks like it wants to punce on my rabbits.

Even if it didnt seriously hurt them, they could get a serious infection from a . So long as they're safe in a run it should be fine though.

I have two cats which i have had for 10 years.They will sit for hours just looking at my bunnies.They are very curious creatures.If my bunnies come up to the wire of the run my cats run away as fast has they can:lol::lol:

My girls scare away the cat. They stand up to her and she backs down. She's quite a nervous cat anyway, so don't know about a more confident cat. I wouldn't trust my cat with the rabbits. One of the reasons I don't have the girls free-range.

cats neurotic

Our poor cat (Kelme) is petrified of rabbits ALL rabbits even the teeny weeny ones. He thought it was bad enough when we got Sweet Pea - but now there are 11 and they occupy all the house and garden he has no-where left to go and spends time hiding in the only rabbit free room and down on our allotments. Its so sad.

But several of my rabbits have a wicked sense of mischief and chase him mercilessly. We have to stand guard over him when he is eating in case a rabbit spies him and chases him.

Cats have stopped coming into our garden as two of ours especially are little devils with the cats - however I would never trust a large cat and not all rabbits know they can be chased - and a cat with a bell on may well be a 'hunting' cat - thats why they are given bells so the birds hear them and escape.

twigs

I have two cats which i have had for 10 years.They will sit for hours just looking at my bunnies.They are very curious creatures.If my bunnies come up to the wire of the run my cats run away as fast has they can:lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol:, yep mine do exactly the same. I feel really sorry for Mishka too because i can tell that she REALLY wants to be friendly with my cats, but they always dart off up the garden. If the neighbours here me they will think i am nuts, because i will shout out "awwww Fibber (cat) give Mishy a kiss" but she has none of it. A quick sniff and Fibber darts off like a nutcase! :lol:

I have a cat and she is scared of the bigger breed adults but i wouldnt trust her with a youngster or small breed like a netherland dwarf. val

Our road is filled with cat lovers so we have loads of them coming in and out of the garden. Non of them seem to bother my bun, they just sit and watch him. One of them even sleeps on top the run in the summer and Bluebell doesn't even care. Our next door neighbours had a young cat who tried putting his paw through the mesh but had the fright of his life when Bluebell went for him and hasn't done it again. Cats stalk their pray, thats why the cat you saw had a bell on his collar so bird etc can hear him approaching and get out of harms way. Rabbits are very quick and have very powerfull back legs. Obviously prevention is the best route but I try not to stress too much about it. Note that cats carry fleas which may be carrying myxi so if you haven't already you might consider vacinating them.

My cats and rabbits get along quite well but I find the cats are more cautious of the bunnies! If they hop too quickly towards them the cats do a runner :lol::lol::lol:

Okay, thank you!
What I'm guilty about is that my rabbit doesn't have 'free range' time, as he lives in a hutch outside. His run is also quite small, but as he is only a Netherland Dwarf I think he'll be okay until he's able to be a house rabbit when I move house.
Another question: What is a good room for a bunny to live in inside a house?
I was worried about the cat in case it may be able to get into the hutch, but taking a second look at it it's near impossible for a cat to get in it during this cold weather. :shock:

lol my cats are scared of my rabbits and i have 8 cats :shock: one thing i have to watch out for is one of my cats trys to play with the rabbits although the rabbits are not bothered by this the cat could quite easily injure the rabbit by accident with its sharp claws etc. we also have a stray cat in my street it was bought as a kitten by one of my neighbours and when it was an adult and not 'cute' anymore it was kicked outside the neighbour then moved away leaving the poor thing behind anyway it comes to be fed in my garden and when i was cleaning Crystal and Mistys hutch the other night they were free range in the garden the stray cat jumped over the fence Crystal charged over to the cat and the cat got scared and legged it up the street :lol:

i think it depends on the cat in my opinion but i would personally be wary of a cat id never seen before

We have quite a large garden and have trouble with cats. We have chicken wire stapled onto the top of the fences, have sprayed Jeyes Fluid on the fences and also now have two sonic cat deterrents but it doesn't stop the cats totally. Our buns get really frightened when a cat comes near and, unfortunately, on one or two occasions I have caughta cat in the garden and the buns were petrified. :evil::evil::evil::evil:

We have a ginger tom that has decided our back garden is his territory too. He often walks around the compound and has a look at the bunnies, but not in a threatening way. They seem curious about him, but wary. He never goes near them just looks from a distance. They have been out for over 2 years, all day, every day and are fine.

Okay, thanks. He's actually(Shame on me, I know) never in his run, because the lid lifts up easily and i'm petrified that a fox will come :shock:

Back