• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is EVERY rabbit suitable to be bonded?

loobie_lou

Mama Doe
I just wondered if, in the odd exception, some rabbits just prefer human attention to the attention other rabbits can give.

Jamie and Sapphire are inseperable and prefer each other to me :( lol, I'm happy for them although I do miss my affectionate little boy... he still gives me little licks every now and then though :)

Kitt and Hollie bonded, of a sort, before Kitt had to have yet another operation. I've tried to get them back together a few times since his stitches have been removed but they're just not having any of it. Hollie seems to go for him every time, regardless of the territory being neutral or not. I tried bonding them in Kitts room thinking that it may give him a bit more confidence and stop Hollie lunging at him.. but it didn't work, she attacked him within me letting go of her and then went and pee'd in his litter tray and poop all over his cage. Kitt seems to be petrified of her too, he comes and hides behind us if she comes in the room.

I'm at a loss at what to do. Baring in mind the number of injuries and operations Kitt has had I'm a bit reluctant to move him outside when it gets warmer - and Hollie was adopted so I could have them both living together, but it's just not working out and Hawys, my partner thinks she'd prefer living outdoor and, seeing as she decides to mark her territory everywhere by weeing, - even after it's neutralised :roll: I don't blame Hawys for saying this.

Any suggestions? I'm no way getting rid of either of them, but I hate the fact that I have two single bunnies who just wont seem to bond. If they could be bonded and Hollie stopped weeing everywhere there'd be no problem in them living together as house bunnies, but I'm doubting this dominant trait would cease. I could be persuaded to move them both outdoors if they can bond, but only if Hawys buys me another Happy Hutch.. hehe

Lou xx

I guess rabbits are like humans. There are just some people you will never get on with, so there will be some rabbits that will never get on with each other, but they could be perfectly capable of bonding with a different rabbit.

Though I have had a rabbit that you couldn't bond with any other rabbit, he was lovely with people, but any other animal he attacked including our dog.

i must admit i didnt think alvin would bond, even tho id have happily given up i do think Lou would have tried him with every female she had till he fell in love..... luckily he fell for the 2nd one i fell for :)

he still has time for us humans pretty much how much time he had before so now its all settled nothink has really changed.. oh yeah now i have two destructive demons in the disguise of angels :shock:

Sometimes two rabbits are more difficult to bond. You could try finding a rescue that might take the pair and try bonding somewhere totally neutral. Another alternative would be to take Hollie to a rescue and see if you can find a boy she does like with a view to moving them outside and having Kitt indoors.

I have one Bun, Hal, with whom I have tried to bond at least 6 different Does over a 3 year period. It ALWAYS ends up with Hal being attacked :cry: He is partially sighted and VERY highly strung. As soon as I remove the Doe Hal relaxes, starts to eat again and is generally much happier. I will not attempt bonding Hal again as I truely believe he is happier in a pen on his own. He is surrounded by other Buns and I am here 24/7. So I do think that very occassionally there will be a Bun who is happier to live alone

Janex

I don't know if this helps or not

I am sorry to hear of your problems.Two bunnies not going together can occur for a number of reasons, lots of which have been discussed in these pages before.

Personally we have been aware of the following scenario a number of times before which seems to stem from the wild and will either prevent two rabbits bonding or rejection in a neutered mixed pair that have even been together for years.

If one wild rabbit detects injury, illness or weakness in another its instinct is to stay well away as it knows such a rabbit is likely to be on the "menu"so to speak and a target for predators. If it sits near such a rabbit it could well attract the unwanted attention from said preditors. This translated back to domestic rabbits who have all the instincts and requirements of a wild rabbit can be the cause of non bonding or rejection. The outward signs for this are often not apparent but we know when one of our own children look a little off colour so it seems reasonable for a rabbit to detect the same in its own species .However we see illness and injury with protective specs on whilst they see it a good reason to get eaten.

If your bunny is weak and has had operations, I put forward this as a possible cause.

In these cases we just seek, where we can a similary weak , shy, reserved or quiet bunny to attempt pairing and hope for the best. However it must be said also life as a single bunny is also considered and in such cases we advertise such a bunny's weaknesses to new owners and so far all such bunnies have gone as single housebuns.

Back