• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what bedding do you all use?

maisydaisystar

Alpha Buck
Hi
Just wondering what bedding you all use?
I will be getting a rehomed bun soon ( and will be pairing him up after neutering).
I have had a house rabbit before, but unfortunatly i now have 2 yorkies, and i do not know how they will react with the bunny, he is coming with a huge hutch and run , just wondered what bedding is best, I use hay and megazorb for my guinea pigs, do you think hay is better than straw for rabbits? and in the winter do you think i should use hay all over the hutch or just in the bedroom compartament. I am going to litter train him too.
Thanks guys

I use straw and hay in the bedroom compartment and Megazorb over the flooring of the rest of the hutch. Hay is put into litter trays and hay balls/racks.

in the hutches they just have hay in the litter tray and to eat and newspaper on the floor with no bedding.

Now they are in for the winter the same applies in the indoor cages except for the rexes who have fleece and vetbed on top of the newspaper.

I use newspaper with a thick layer of hay over the top and a sprinkling of carefresh in the litter trays. It's very easy to clean out.

I have wipe clean vynyl floor tiles throughout the hutch with a bit of vet bed in the open area. I removed the sleeping compartment divider and put a pet carrier up that end instead with vet bed on its floor and stuffed full of straw and hay so it is a double insulated sleeping area. They also have 2 litter trays up on that level which have megazorb covered with some straw and hay at the front to munch while they "go":lol: The lower level is on the patio and has their water bowl and another litter tray.

My 2 have layers of newspaper which have carpet on top. In their bedroom area they have 3 old towels to snuggle into. In their top living area they have an old picnic blanket which they lay on. Their bottom floor has newspaper, carpet and their 2 litter trays which have bio-catolet and then their hay in the litter trays.

Very easy hutch to keep clean - just 2 litter trays to empty.:D

Thanks everyone, I guess i will use newspaper, and megazorb, with hay for bedding.
Is it best not to use woodshavings, like with guinea pigs?

Hi guys and girls, have got some vet bed for some of my bunnies to try but do you still use it in the summer? I now have four bunnies with incontinence, am treating with Lapizole, three are looking good but one is being stubborn. They are on a month's course and I will let you know the outcome, will keep fingers crossed!

Back