• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poorly back leg

alexbishop

New Kit
a couple of days ago i noticed that my boy bunny wasn't putting any weight on his back leg like it was sore. i've put the cat in a different room and made him a nice cosey bed where he can chill without being chased.

i'm closely monitoring his eating and drinking which are fine and he seems as lively as ever. i feel neglectful not taking him to the vets at this point, but i'm so so broke. i'm not sure what they cud do. i don't wanna pay a tonne of money and have time off work just for the vet to tell me to rest it and keep an eye on it.

what do u think?

Id take the bunny to the vets.

If the leg is broken (hopefully it isn't), the longer you leave it, the less chance it has of healing properly. If the bone needs setting, then it needs to be done asap.

Sorry :(

Amy

Hi Hun:wave:,

I had the same thing with one of my buns last week. I had a feel and I was pretty sure she had a broken toe, due to crunchy grindy feel:shock:. Took her to the vets the next day and they confirmed it. She's now on the mend and loads better after just a week of rest and being confined to ground level:).

Best get it checked out, better safe than sorry. Is your bunny showing signs of distress, like teeth grinding or being withdrawn and off their food?

Please take him to the vet. Inky broke one of his back toes last year and it needs to be sorted fast. If not broken, it could be a sprain (Inky has one of these at the moment), which is still very painful for them and need treatment.

thanks guys, he's still not putting any weight on it even after a lot of rest so i'm taking him in tomorrow. can't feel any grinding

i am still surprised that he is showing no signs of distress. usually he's a really wussy bunny who goes straight off his food, but he seems happier than ever. oh well, 1st of the month and i'll already be in my overdraft! as long as he's ok tho

At least you can put your mind at rest and get a resolution for your bunny.

Get Well Soon little guy.:)

Let us know what the vet says.

it was just a pulled muscle or ligament or something. he gave him an anti-inflametary and prescribed rest. at least he doesn't need a cast of anything. and he seemed quite perky even after getting trapped in a hail storm so i'm sure he'll be fine

Back