• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Floppy ear?

IzzyTwig

Alpha Buck
Nuggette, my orange rex has a floppy ear. She's an uppy bun with goregous long straight ears. But this morning I've noticed one ear has flopped at the top! She looks fairly silly but still adorable.
No sign of any damage or injury to the ear and she's still her usual self and doesn't mind me going near the ear. So I'm hoping it's nothing to worry about. She hasn't got any lop eared genes in her so it's not her ears dropping late.
Well she definately can't be a show bunny now. :p

Anyone any ideas what's caused it?

I would get a sudden lop by an adult upeared rabbit checked out by a vet. It's possible she has an ear infection which you won't be able to see by just looking at her ear without a scope.

Thanks, I will get her to the vet anyway. Just strange as it's only the top cm of the ear that has flopped. Plus there's no head tilt, head shaking, scratching. The ear isn't warmer than usual and the base feels fine (no squelching or anything), no sign of infection inside the ear, so none of the usual symptoms of ear infection. But I'll get the vet to check anyway to be on the safe side.

Ahh, I thought you meant the whole ear. I'd still get it checked but if it's just the very tip I'd be less worried. It could be damage to the ear or sometimes heat can effect the ear tips though I wouldn't have thought that would be an issue this time of year!

sometimes when they havent been drinking enough thier ear flops like that ive had it with hares once!:wave:

Could be that, she has two water bottles, she'd finished one and we forgot to top it up over night, but the other was full so we thought she'd be fine, however she seems oblivious to its presence so didn't drink any. The bottle was filled this morning and she's been happily drinking away and her ear seems to be slowly unbending itself throughout the course of the day.

I managed to phone my friend who's a vet (instead of paying out for a check up) and she said it didn't sound like anything to worry about as long as there wasn't any sign of damage or change in her behaviour, but to keep an eye on it. Could be a genetic fault as she's still young.

Well she seems fine, she's currently trying to lick the insides of my nostrils!

Back