• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ill after spay, please help.

isla

Mama Doe
My little rescued bunny went to be spayed yesterday, everything went well with the op, but shes not a happy girl yet. She will only drink if I'm holding her water near her head, And ate 4mls of smushed up SS. We went bach to the vet today and have some oxbow critical care, and some metacam. She wont let me feed her the Critical care, and still isn't eating anything.

Is there anything I can do to help her? If I ask a different vet foe SS recovery will they just give it to me (my vet doesn't stock it) and see if she likes it?

Have you tried putting a water bowl at the side of her.When Angel was spayed she would only eat parsley,grass and dandelions for a few days.I had to literally tap her on the nose gently with the parsley and she then started to eat it.
Hope she starts to eat soon.

I've tried a bowl of water, but she's not intrested, she has has a few mushy poo's about an hour ago. I'm really worried about her.

hello

i am sorry she isnt very well.My Beatrix was spayed 2 weeks ago and i had to bring her inside and keep her nice and warm and quiet before she would eat,and i kept her in for a week or so after.

Hope she is ok soon

jackie

Have you tried tempting her with all her favourites? If she is in pain then she won't want to eat anything, have you managed to get her to take the metacam? If you make the liquid food quite runny then she won't be able to spit it out as easily, plus she will get more water in her too. Just be careful how you syringe if it is runnier, so she doesn't inhale it. I would maybe give it a little longer for her to perk up, but if she doesn't eat soon then maybe she needs a shot of metaclopramide from the vets to keep her guts moving? Best thing is to try and get some liquid feed into her. I hope she eats soon and starts to feel better :)

If she's used to eating greens, they usually will go for something green and fresh rather than pellets or hay at first - when I had some poorly animals recently I went hunting for fresh looking dandelion leaves, and found some - saved the day! They wouldn't touch anything else till they were on the mend.

The best thing to syringe into her is a mush of her regular pellets - put a splash of hot water from the kettle on a few, soak them till they fluff up, mash and feed - you will need to cut the end off a syring though, and file the sharp bits smooth with some sandpaper so it doesn't hurt her mouth.

Usually they're like this for about 2 or 3 days, so don't despair - just keep her indoors in the warm, syringe her food and water, and find fresh greens for her - don't give her wilted ones. Hopefully she'll perk up soon as she's done a poop now - it's often mushy as their guts have been messed about with during the op.

I would not worry too much as if she has eaten a tiny bit and has done some squashy poo (perfectly normal after a GA) then it means her guts are working :D
If she is willing to nibble at food (try grated carrot, very finely sliced dark greens, chopped celery, fresh herbs like parsley, mint or Basil ) then I would not stress her by syringe feeding. If she is refusing all food then OK, go for syringe feeds but otherwise let her nibble at her own pace. Syringe feeds should be a 'supportive measure' not a forced one.

She will benefit from a source of heat like a Snugglesafe. Try offering her luke warm water to drink from a bowl ( cooled boiled water)

I am sure she will start to perk up over the next 24 hours. But if you have more concerns I'd contact your Vet again

Janex

Thanks everyone, shes still not eating, and has not done anymore poo's. I'm holding her water bottle to her and squeesing every hour or so and she is drinking like that, but not on her own at all.

If she's not any better in the next hour I'm calling the vet again too see if I can give her some more pain killer.

Shes flopped out on her side at the mo and sleeping loads, but shes an indoor bunny anyway so shes all nice and warm, and shes not hopping at all, just walking sometimes. Poor girl!

When mine come out from GA they will only eat herbs - try any you can get your hands on to try and tempt her. They also like tepid water from a bowl (cold water with a dash of hot from the kettle to make it room temperature).

I hope she is feeling better soon.

Hi, She is doing loads better, she needed more metacam, and another trip to the vet but she is eating well and her wound is healing nicely. The vet said its best to keep her in her cage for about a week though, which will drive her crazy, but she was kept in a small cage for 2 years, so 1 weeks not going to be much of a problem, and I can get in the cage with her for cuddles.

Back