• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit shelter for outdoor run

Cob-Web

Warren Scout
I am totally unimpressed with the range of shelters that are available in my local pet stores, and I am thinking of making my own !

Are there any good online suppliers that offer a better product and that ship to UK addresses or websites that I can get ideas for designs that I can make myself from local DIY store supplies?

Thanks ;)

I have one of those but find that my 2 much prefer to sit on top of it so I just cover that part of the run. Here's a pic ..if it rains really heavily I make sure that the corner the hide box is in is totally sheltered by the cover and anchor the cover with a piece of wood.
DSC02593.jpg

The best and cheapest option(£5.00 or so) I also use is to buy a big trug(available at garden centres and horse places(feed bucket?). It's made of heavy duty rubber and is therefore totally waterproof and windproof. I'll put a pic up of that when Photobucket stops mucking around!!
DSC02918.jpg

Last edited:
I am totally unimpressed with the range of shelters that are available in my local pet stores, and I am thinking of making my own !

Are there any good online suppliers that offer a better product and that ship to UK addresses or websites that I can get ideas for designs that I can make myself from local DIY store supplies?

Thanks ;)

Other ideas are to use a small sized hutch. If you are any where near ARC I can always find you a small hutch which would provide a shelter for your buns out of the cold and wet.

I'm not near ARC, but thank you for the offer :D

I love the trug - I'll pick one up today (I think our local shop sells pink ones :lol:)

Such a shelter should be easy enough to make yourself:D
I have a home-made wooden house which I use for shelter, there's no bottom on it though..so it stands directly on the grass. I should probably make one though, since Sasuke likes to dig holes in the bottom:lol: So when I move the run there are holes in it:shock:
Harfttnok.jpg

Then again its usually only used in the summer, and the rabbits only use it for shade. :D

i made my rabbits one out of bits of wood that were about the house. They love it, although never really sit in it - they sit on top!

I have one of those but find that my 2 much prefer to sit on top of it so I just cover that part of the run. Here's a pic ..if it rains really heavily I make sure that the corner the hide box is in is totally sheltered by the cover and anchor the cover with a piece of wood.
DSC02593.jpg

The best and cheapest option(£5.00 or so) I also use is to buy a big trug(available at garden centres and horse places(feed bucket?). It's made of heavy duty rubber and is therefore totally waterproof and windproof. I'll put a pic up of that when Photobucket stops mucking around!!
DSC02918.jpg

What a great set up, thats giving me lots of ideas.

Phil

Originally Posted by capel
I have one of those but find that my 2 much prefer to sit on top of it so I just cover that part of the run.

I have one of these too and I also have only ever seen mine sitting on top of it. They'll even sleep on it in the rain if I let them.:)

Back