• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pineapple - how much?

bunny babe

Wise Old Thumper
Since Katy had her GI Statis at Christmas, I have been giving her (and Homer) some fresh pineapple juice as I know some of you do this to try to break down hair balls. I know it is not proven that it does this.

My two went absolutly mad for it last night and Katy tried to pull the syringe off me to run away with it.:shock: Don't know how she was planning to get it out of the syringe:lol::lol::lol:

I was just wondering how much juice they can have and how often. They will not actually eat the pineapple itself.

hmmm, not sure really, mine have not had juice but i have offered them fresh pineapple pieces before and they both sniffed them, looked disgusted and ran off! :rolleyes::lol:

Sure someone else will know though :)

Eeyore's still having 2ml twice a day following his stasis last week - the vet just said it was best to carry on with that for 5 days. He loves it too, was chomping on the syringe this morning :lol:

I give mine bromelain tablets from holland and barrett - a bit easier to administer, although they were treated with great suspicion at first :D

I give mine bromelain tablets from holland and barrett - a bit easier to administer, although they were treated with great suspicion at first :D

Not heard of giving them these. How big are the tablets? Do you have to mix them with anything or do they just eat them?? Can you give them as well as pineapple? So many questions.... I am paranoid after Katy's bout of GI Statis!!!

I also got some pineapple and papaya dried stuff from Hay Experts, they are sold as treats - are these likely to help or are they just a "treat"?

Can you feel just a chunk (tidbit size) or can it only be the juice?

I hope you can as I have the last couple of weeks (during my recent discovery of how nice fresh pineapple due to a in store promotion!). I chop the whole thing up, give Barley a bit and eat the rest myself!

He's 5 years old and hasn't had pineapple until a few weeks ago (I feel I've been depriving him!), he have it a sniff, gave it a lick, snatched it and ran off!!!

Hannah

alvin loves the stuff, ive not tried juice on its own just real pineapple... i had forgotten how nice it is :)

Not heard of giving them these. How big are the tablets? Do you have to mix them with anything or do they just eat them?? Can you give them as well as pineapple? So many questions.... I am paranoid after Katy's bout of GI Statis!!!

I also got some pineapple and papaya dried stuff from Hay Experts, they are sold as treats - are these likely to help or are they just a "treat"?

Bromelain is the active enzyme in the pineapple which is *believed* to break down the mucus which may bind hair together in a GI tract with compromised motility levels.

IMO a rabbit with a healthy gut does not need Bromelain as any ingested hair shoud metabolise at a rate which does not allow it to accumulate into a mass.

I thought that the enzyme was broken down by the process used to produce pineapple juice, and that a small cube of fresh pineapple was more effective. I give mine an inch cube twice a week during a heavy moult.

I thought that the enzyme was broken down by the process used to produce pineapple juice, and that a small cube of fresh pineapple was more effective. I give mine an inch cube twice a week during a heavy moult.

If the juice has been pasteurised or heat treated then yes it wont be effective. It must be pure fresh juice.

cookie hated being syringe fed so i gave him his normal water bottle then another water bottle but with a little pineapple juice in it, and he liked having it that way, syringe feeding really stressed him as he didnt now me so i found this effective

Back