• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

teeth grinding....pain or pleasure?

kelzuna

Warren Scout
I know bunnies grind their teeth when in pain and when they are happy - how do u distinguish between the two???

Liquorice often grinds his teeth while he is being stroked but lately he has been lying on his fave spot on rug grinding his teeth...no one stroking him or anywhere near him.

is this normal? its loud enough to notice. he is lying fully stretched out and looks really comfy.

he isnt hunched up or anything and is eating/drinking /pooing.

Yeah Bunnie does that just sits or lays there grinding her teeth cos she content! Has taken me a while to not worry about it as she was ill before xmas with stasis and was grinding her teeth!

We found the grinding sound when she was poorly was her just moving jaw back and forth grinding.

The happy, content grinding is her closing teeth together and than grind!

Last edited:
I find the happy grind sounds like all their teeth have come loose and are clattering around, a bit like a bag of spanners in the boot of your car. :lol:

Yes..it's almost like a chatter...3 or 4 quick grinds, then silence and then another 3 or 4. I used to wonder how I'd know the difference as well, but then I heard Nia grind her teeth in pain:shock: It's unmistakable..the body language is also a big clue.

Last edited:
Yes..it's almost like a chatter...3 or 4 quick grinds, then silence and then another 3 or 4. I used to wonder how I'd know the difference as well, but then I help Nia grind her teeth in pain:shock: It's unmistakable..the body language is also a big clue.

Brilliantly described!

It's taken me 1 month though of annoying my partner saying "are you sure it not pain" now i can distinguish it from when she was pain grinding with stasis before xmas! I have relaxed a bit now and stopped panicking all the time!

you'll be able to tell if he's in pain, its a subtly different noise. i reckon if he's stretched out and clicking his teeth he's jsut saying "how comfy am i" !

When miffy grinds her teeth in pain it's usually one or two VERY loud cracking noises like a click click when hes happy her whole mouth moves around and she looks like she's going brrrr brrrr brrrr that and the bosy language she usually sits hunched up when in pain as apposed to sprawled out when happy and she hed buts your hand too lol

Back