• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Weird Sounds when Eating

Hi,

I recently rescued a lovely boy bunny a few weeks ago, and he is absolutely goregous. He was cheked out by the vet two weeks ago when he had his VHD jab and everything was fine.

Although today I've noticed when I fed him carrots he was making a funny sound - it's sort of a squeaky sound. I don't know if this is because he was so excited about eating them, because he gulped them down, or if there is something wrong with his mouth/teeth. Apart from that he is a normal, happy, healthy bunny.

Has anyone else experienced this before? I just wanted to know if I should get it checked out at the vets or if I'm just being paranoid!

Thanks.

I know someone else mentioned this recently too, also my Bobbin is very vocal. As far as I understand it's quite normal, but I'd be interested in hearing what other people think.

Only trouble with things like this is getting them to make the noise at the vets! :rolleyes:

Our bunyip made a sounds when eating her pellets once, sounds like the noise someone makes with heavy vocal breathing/hyperventalating but hasn't done it since, we think it was something to do with the fact she got so excited and jumped up and hit the side of cage then fell down doing a 180 turn and landing on litter tray ! She was fine and never heard sound since! She probably winded herself! Maybe your bun just reeeeeallllllyyyyy excited at din dins!

Floss does a squeaky grunt when she's eating..I think it's probably to remind Bournville that all the available food in a 5 mile radius is HERS:lol::lol:. She is a very vocal bun whereas Bournville, gentleman that he is, is totally silent!

Hi,

I recently rescued a lovely boy bunny a few weeks ago, and he is absolutely goregous. He was cheked out by the vet two weeks ago when he had his VHD jab and everything was fine.

Although today I've noticed when I fed him carrots he was making a funny sound - it's sort of a squeaky sound. I don't know if this is because he was so excited about eating them, because he gulped them down, or if there is something wrong with his mouth/teeth. Apart from that he is a normal, happy, healthy bunny.

Has anyone else experienced this before? I just wanted to know if I should get it checked out at the vets or if I'm just being paranoid!

Thanks.

If your vet has done all the checks, then I'm sure there's nothing to worry about, however, I would say that my rabbit has only started making these noises for the last month or so and I have just found out that he has problems with his teeth. I think the noise comes from him mainly using his front teeth to eat rather than his molars.

If your vet has done all the checks, then I'm sure there's nothing to worry about, however, I would say that my rabbit has only started making these noises for the last month or so and I have just found out that he has problems with his teeth. I think the noise comes from him mainly using his front teeth to eat rather than his molars.

Ah that's interesting. Bobbin has reoccuring weepy eyes which the vet is sure is down to teeth problems although she cannot see any obvious signs using a otoscope (sp?). She is reluctant to do an x-ray as she believes his condition is not serious or painful and doesn't require immediate treatment, just suggests I continue to keep his eyes clean. But these sounds could certainly be down to teeth, I had not really put the two together.

Ah that's interesting. Bobbin has reoccuring weepy eyes which the vet is sure is down to teeth problems although she cannot see any obvious signs using a otoscope (sp?). She is reluctant to do an x-ray as she believes his condition is not serious or painful and doesn't require immediate treatment, just suggests I continue to keep his eyes clean. But these sounds could certainly be down to teeth, I had not really put the two together.

That is the dilemma I had with Herbert, ie. I knew something was not right but all seemed well looking through the scope. He suddenly became fussy with food, although I believe the root of the problem (excuse the pun) started well before this and was also making the 'squeaky' noises and twitching his shoulders when eating. His problem was only discovered during an Xray. As far as I can understand, weepy eyes can be a sign of abnormal molar roots or pasteurella.

I've heard it too. I just passed it off as good old piggish excitement.

I'm sure we eat noisily enough when chowing down our favourites :p

Back