• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cat with the rabbits, should I worry?

ZakuraRabbit

Mama Doe
My neighbors have cats.
They haven't really been a problem before, but now I've seen at least two of them hanging out on our balcony, also one keeps lurking around Zakura and Aroma's hutches, particularly when they're out in the run.
Today I spotted the cat in Zakura's hutch:shock:
She didn't look hurt, the cat disappeared when I came out, I don't know if she was scared by Zakura or me... Should I worry?
I would really like for them to get friends...or the rabbits to scare the cats away on their own, as I like to keep them out in the run all day during the summer-time, but if the cat wants to hurt them that will get tricky:?
I don't think the cat is very old, it looks like one of the kittens born last summer. (I would also assume so since I've never seen it around before, and I know one kitten was adopted by the people who owned the father, who also live right next to the one owning the father, I'm not sure who owns the other one:p if it still lives with its mom, dad, or another neighbor:p) I used to see their mom near the hutches occasionally a couple of years back, but she was just a baby then so I didn't really mind+at that time we had a dog. Now he's moved out, and the rabbits lost a guardian.

Its just my opinion but i would be worried if a cat was near my bunnys and they were not used to each other from an early age. there is a definate element of danger either through the cat getting to the rabbits or just scaring them. maybe try scareing the cats off so they know that your garden is a no go area. other than that just make sure your rabbit runs are well secured to the ground and have a hiding place if the buns get scared

I guess you have to use your own judgement, keep an eye out and see what the behaviour between the two is like. One of my deps rabbits plays with her next door neighbours kitten in the garden. They chase one another round and round and run through the bushes. She was worried at first, but now it's all a game to them so she lets them get on with it.

The rabbits are more likely to scare the cat than vice versa ;)
Unless you have a particularly sensitive and timid bunny im sure there won't be a problem and the cats and rabbits will soon be used to each other and start to ignore one another or maybe even play depending on their temperaments!

She is probably just inquisitive and is checking them out. My cats sleep in the hutches in the summer! My buns are the rulers of the garden for sure, we have two young cats at the moment who started to come in the garden and follow the rabbits around, once the rabbits had nudged them a couple of times they kept their distance!

Ive always had lots of cats around every house ive lived in and up until recently always had 4 cats of my own, including several ferals. None were interested in harming the buns at all.

Back