• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Green in water bottles

spinnersue

Warren Scout
Hi, can anyone tell me the best way to get rid of the green which accumulates in the bunnies water bottles? I do change their water very frequently but it still happens. I used to just replace them but cash is a bit short at the moment so am looking to just try and clean them some way. I tried a bottle brush but that wasn't very successful. Any other ideas?

pop in an inch of water and a few grains of rice, screw the top back on and shake as hard as you can.

it really works - but remember to get all the rice out afterwards!

wilkinsons do good baby bottle brushes, with a tiny one for the spout included - if you sterilise them without cleaning off the algae first it won't sterilise them properly. If you put a cut off sock around the bottle that should stop the algae growing as they need sunlight.

I use a bottle brush but for those stubborn bits that the bottle brush won't reach a little sand in the bottle works well. Half a teaspoon of sand in water in the bottle, give it a good shake and you're sorted! I think the rice idea might be easier as you can get the rice out again easier. It can take a while to get the sand out again.

I also use a bottle brush and milton sterilizing tabs. Even just moving the bottle out of direct sunlight will help. Make sure you change the water daily as thats the main reason the bacteria collects and spreads when exposed to sunlight.

You can use one of those bottle covers that are meant to insulate against freezing to keep the light out. It also keeps the water cooler in summer.

ETA: obviously not to clean the bottle but to help keep it from getting dirty, if you see what I mean :oops:

If you use rice make sure you use cold water as warm releases the starch and makes the rice too sticky to get out.
Tiny gravel works in the same way.

Another way to clean the bottle is to pour several inches of hot water into the bottle and then tear of a few sheets of toilet paper and push it in. Cover the top with your hand and then give it a really good shake.

The toilet paper turns to pulp and cleans off of the algae without scratching up the inside of the bottle.

Try it, it really does work!:thumb:

Back