• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

breeding rabbits at sanctuary

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
re a sanctuary I visited at the weekend!

I wasn't too happy about the amount of rabbits that were for sale, my friend said she rescued rabbits but it seemed like she bred them more than anything.

The rabbits were all in spotlessly clean cages but I'm not sure how I feel about rabbits being bred at a sanctuary. Although its a waterfowl sanctuary.
Suppose she may have been trying to make some extra money to fund the place?

Last edited:
well sadly there's no law against it - but there should be! :evil:

I agree! I wanted to say something but wasn't brave enough. think I annoyed my friend he asked what i thought about the place and didn't seem to impressed when i answered back about what i thought of the breeding situation.

i was recently told that your not ment to post links to things like this and complain abiout it because the site can be liable for it!:?
thought you should know!

the place i got alvin from was a sanctuary but they were selling the babies to help with the upkeep of the residents, the norty male they had took in escaped and mated with all the females while they were grazing on the grass.... not really sure how true it was cus when i sent an update on how well alvin was doing i never got a response which really surprised me... the website is gone now too..

on eof my first buns, Bran, came from a rescue near Coventry..and they too were having lots of "accidental" litters..
defeats the object of rescuing if you're breeding:(

I don't actually think any of the rabbits were 'rescues'. There were loads in the reception area for £30 each :evil: and then a load more in what I can only describe as breeding hutches stacked on top of each other.

This is going to sound awful

If you are a rabbit breeder or seller, such as a rescue that is open to the public there is a good chance that you will need a licence from the local environmental health department in much the same way as pet shops.

It also follows on that profits from sale of said bunnies is taxable and the inland revenue may well be interested.

If you are a rabbit breeder or seller, such as a rescue that is open to the public there is a good chance that you will need a licence from the local environmental health department in much the same way as pet shops.

It also follows on that profits from sale of said bunnies is taxable and the inland revenue may well be interested.

Yes she has a license to sell the rabbits she is a registered 'pet shop' as well. Shes quite eccentric and has probably been doing it for years and may not no how many bunnies are in rescue centres I guess?

I suppose in a way it depends on how she started. She may have started off as a breeder but got so many requests to foster/rehome rabbits she decided to start a sanctuary but was unwilling to let the revenue go from the breeding. Common sense would say you should either do one or the other but we all do daft things. I for example know that smoking is bad for mine and others health.......I still bought a packet of ciggis this morning.

Have you tried talking to her more about it? If she runs a sanctuary then she probably cares about the animals, and might just need a bit of gentle persuasion. Perhaps give her the websites of some places to get decent size hutches or a carpenter (which she might make more money on) and suggesting that she could take in unwanted litters from other rescue centres?

well i went on 3adds and there was a rescue who was selling baby mini lops for £10 and was looking into being able to house 300 rabbits soon
wat was even worse was they were breeding from wat they rescued!:evil:

try saying something about how she obviously cares a lot about animals, but is she aware of the huge numbers of rabbits bought on impulse and abandoned. Does she realise that there are many animals in rescue centres needing homes, including many pregnant females. Tell her about the bunny abortions. Try to be friendly and supportive rather than attacking as people just switch off if you're aggressive. Give her as much info as possible e.g. link to rabbit rehome, maybe some rescues in her area, etc.

try saying something about how she obviously cares a lot about animals, but is she aware of the huge numbers of rabbits bought on impulse and abandoned. Does she realise that there are many animals in rescue centres needing homes, including many pregnant females. Tell her about the bunny abortions. Try to be friendly and supportive rather than attacking as people just switch off if you're aggressive. Give her as much info as possible e.g. link to rabbit rehome, maybe some rescues in her area, etc.

Thanks for that, will try and put something together.

Back