• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best food / hay and treats to give Ralph?

davemulheran

Warren Scout
Hi all..

Im currently feeding Ralph, adult Pets at home pellets, Excel herbage hay and normal pet shop hay. With the occasional fresh carrot / broccolli treat and this organic rabbit treat pack.. called tubers (dried carrot and other bits)

Can anyone advise if i can make his food healthier / more enjoyable?

I am going to order some hay from the hay expert to see if he prefers that.... but i always thought the excel herbage was the best i could get at present...

pellet wise.. i have seen some do not feed their rabbits pellets.. but Ralph has always had them from a baby (started on guinea pig pellets) so are there any better pellets for him than the pets at home ones I am buying at present?

Does anyone else use vitamin powder in their rabbits water? I do but it makes the water smell horrible after a day being left

thanks

Dave

I would get the sample pack from Hay Experts and see which one your bun like best. I did that and Lola likes Oat Hay best, won't touch anything else. As long as he has a constant supply of hay and likes the one you have at the min, i wouldn't worry too much.

As for the pellets ive never had P@H ones. Lola has excell pellets. I know a lot of people of here would recommend Science Selective or A&P pellets.

Hay Experts and Pampered Piggies have some great treats for bunny's - so many that i always end up spending a fortune!:lol:

I don't put any vitamins in Lola's water but i do change it about 3 times per day to keep it fresh. She's a house bunny and drinks from a bowl

Sorry not much help but i'm sure others can help more:)

Hi, and welcome to the forum:wave:. Your rabbit will be perfectly happy as long as his diet consits mostly of good hay, a small amount of greens, and a very small amount of pellets. Try to get the pellets with at least 19% fibre. As for shop bought treats..there's no need for them at all really. As far as rabbits are concerned food is food and I don't think they have the hang-up and yearning for "treats" like we humans do. A small amount of carrot or apple is fine ..treat that as a treat instead:lol:. There's isn't any need to add vitamins to the water as long as you are giving a good balanced diet of hay(90%) and green vegetables..

thanks, great advice..

so apart from carrots.. will lay off the brocolli. Can you advise on what veg / fruit will be safe to introduce slowly?

just so he has a bit of variety from hay. As you wouldnt believe how spoilt Ralph gets!

thanks guys

Definitely get a sample of different hay from The Hay Experts - I did this and my two loved all of it :shock:. I've just got a bale of hay from Dust Free Hay for the first time and it is lovely and green and I'm hoping mine will like it.

For treats mine get one small pineapple chunk (for rabbits) in the morning when I leave them to come to work and one banana chip at bedtime. Both of them know that when they have to go back into their cages they will get something and it makes it much easier to get them in. These are the only "treats" they get. At different times of the day they get different hays. They have timothy/meadow hay all the time, but in the morning after breakfast they get a handful of dried grass, and then in the evening they get some oat hay.

Definitely reduce the amount of pellets. A lot of people use Science Selective as this can help stop runny poos.

Any pictures of Ralph?

Yep the hay slection has been ordered :D

Ralph is pretty good and well trained for going back in to his cages (yes he has two.. one on top of the other with a ladder leading up). a few claps and in he bounds. I keep him inside all through winter and only outside when its a warm summer.

Have a lot of pics on my phone becca, he looks a bit like your picture actually. Will upload some now.....

can anyone reccomend a decent photo uploader OTHER than photobucket as my works IT dept has placed a lock on it :(

Back