• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

easter awareness

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
my mums friend works at a nursery and they are having an easter open day, and my mum told her friend that i could take 2 of my buns as it would be easter.
i was a bit skeptical cus id idnt want to encourage impulse easter buys but she jus called me up and said she wanted me 2 do it bcus id give out better information, and she asked me to make up care sheets about vacc/neuturing and Rabbit Rehome etc, so i thought well....rather than call up a breeder to take some bunnies to try anf 'flog them' i figured this could actually be quite a good thing, because i could raise awareness?

im going to make up some care sheets!:D

well she just said that she thought it would be better to have someone who knows what their talking about do it, and i have my puppy pen and the buns will be there witht heir toys and treats etc.

i dont know who to take though?

peanut butter and jelly - peanuts VERY soppy and loves to cuddled, where as jelly is stroppy sumtimes

domino and pebbles r both friendly but as friendly as peanut

That seems a nice idea, but I can't help thinking that at pre-school age all the children will see and remember will be lovely well behaved happy bunnies and that might lead them to pester for one of their own. It's the parents that need to be targeted, and children over 5 or 6 who are at an age when they can take in and understand the good info you give them. If you do go in and do a talk take in your lovely "stroppy" bun to discourage over handling;)

Last edited:
oh yeh i know that, i dont expect the children to understand, the leaflets are for the parents. but imo, its better me going and tryng to raise some awareness as opposed to a breeder trying to shift stock:)

rather than call up a breeder to take some bunnies to try anf 'flog them'

i think thats quite an unfair thing to say really as i have done education days for schools and made it quite clear about neuturing, life span, aggression, jabs, breeds, accomadation, illnesses, vet bills ect.... and never did i once metion that any of mine were for sale i was asked by parents and explained to them that they would have to really think about the care of them and that they were not a childs pet after they saw my arms from scratches id recieved that had scared they were thinking hard!!!

i think thats quite an unfair thing to say really as i have done education days for schools and made it quite clear about neuturing, life span, aggression, jabs, breeds, accomadation, illnesses, vet bills ect.... and never did i once metion that any of mine were for sale i was asked by parents and explained to them that they would have to really think about the care of them and that they were not a childs pet after they saw my arms from scratches id recieved that had scared they were thinking hard!!!

yeh but its hypocritical, i mean, i wouldnt take advice from someone if they were not doing the same themselves. u probably didnt mention 'this one is for sale' but they know they can come to you and get a bunny. yes im sur eyou talked about good accomodatoin etc, i never said breeders didnt

would a breeder talk about rabbit rehome? would a breeder encourage all bunnies to kept in pairs and neutured? i doubt it. if someone told me this info yet they bred their own rabbits therefore they were not neutered and not loving together, i wouldnt pay attention because its about practising what you preach, and tht person clearly cant believe what they are saying because they are not doing it themselves

yeh but its hypocritical, i mean, i wouldnt take advice from someone if they were not doing the same themselves. u probably didnt mention 'this one is for sale' but they know they can come to you and get a bunny. yes im sur eyou talked about good accomodatoin etc, i never said breeders didnt

would a breeder talk about rabbit rehome? would a breeder encourage all bunnies to kept in pairs and neutured? i doubt it. if someone told me this info yet they bred their own rabbits therefore they were not neutered and not loving together, i wouldnt pay attention because its about practising what you preach, and tht person clearly cant believe what they are saying because they are not doing it themselves

Yes i did talk about rescue centres and again am i a breeder they want to be a pet owner the two things are different im afraid but with regards to pairing i do have some paired does only though i have 2 1yr old rexs living together uneutured and a b/hare with a rex living together males i wouldnt chance!

well im sorry but i dont agree. no offence intended but i believe that a breeder can not express how rabbits need to live in pairs or groups and be neutured to have a better quality of life when their own rabbits are not treated this way. this is my own opnion and if i offended you then im sorry but i do not agree

well im sorry but i dont agree. no offence intended but i believe that a breeder can not express how rabbits need to live in pairs or groups and be neutured to have a better quality of life when their own rabbits are not treated this way. this is my own opnion and if i offended you then im sorry but i do not agree

Opinon noted dont worry no offence taken:)

Sorry Raven but I agree with Missy I don't know how you can talk about Rabbit Welfare when you breed your rabbits to be sold at garden centres.

Rather than leaflets just take an old invoice of a vet bill. That ourt to put them off! :shock::lol:

You been looking over my shoulder at my Visa bill this month Leanne????

Yup, don't worry, I expect no birthday or christmas presents for the next ummm 3 years maybe ? hahaha :lol:

i just feel like when imo....one of the main problems is that someone buys a bunny without realising its social and health needs, and i find it hard to believe that while a breeder is saying 'this is what they need' while they are not doing it themselves, that any 'newbie' is going to take that on board.

How do i know this? because i was one of those people!! theres a breeder near me and before i got peanut i went to see if she hadany babies, she said 'well you really want two because they need company' what did i think?

a. she is trying to make me buy 2 to get more money
b. well none of hers are in pairs so why should mine be?

i dont mean to step on anyones toes just in my personal opinion, and thats all it is, i will not take advice from anyone if they not practice what they preach

I think it is better that you go in than a breeder... however i do think you should aim to put them off buying a rabbit as a pet. I agree with what others have said... when young children see cute fluffy bunnies, they may end up pestering their parents for one. So... if you do make care leaflets for the parents... mention about emergency vet treatment, all the illnesses rabbits are prone too (mxyi, vhd, GI stasis), cost of vaccinations, treatment etc.

Good luck

Back