• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I dont know whether to scream or cry

holidayhutch

Warren Veteran
At this monent in time I am trying hard not to do both.
Have just been reading on another forum a post about the disposal of pets once they have gone to the bridge. People were asking if you can put a dog in your rubbish bin.

One persons reply was "I dont see why not I've put my rabbits in there before" and another person admitted doing it to their guinea pigs too:censored::cry:

Am I just being oversensitive or do you agree like me that when a pet is part of your family they deserve a dignified send off when the time comes for them to go to the bridge, not just being discarded in the rubbish like leftovers from dinner?.

OMG how could people put them in their bins.

Even when I had my last bunny and I wasn't that clued up on rabbits he still had a good send off - I didn't want him to go to the vets so he was buried in my back garden and I still know the spot where it was.

I wanted him near to me.

All my pets are buried in my parents garden. When one of my ratties died a while ago, I made the trip over there to bury her. I have two girly ratties currently with inoperable tumours and when their time comes, they'll go and join the rest of the 'clan' and be at rest in my parents garden.

The thought that anyone considers the life of their pet so unimportant to be able to 'bin' the body makes me weep. They deserve love and respect in life and death.

Sorry I'm one of the heartless ones, once they're gone they are free and at Rainbow Bridge, the body left behind is just a shell, not the rabbit I loved. I can understand why people do things for sentimental reasons but I don't think it means they loved their rabbit any more than someone who is more "heartless" with the remains. I carry a donor card for the same reason, once I'm gone I don't really care what happens to my body, as long as my friends and family have a party to celebrate my life who cares what happens to the useless bits left behind?

all of my animals have been buried in the garden. including my first pet, a budgie who was buried in an oak coffin my dad made. (he even carved bubbles's name in the top).
even though i know what they leave is not who they were i can't help but treat thair remains with the same love and respect i did when they were alive.

my dad made a huge deal of burying my hamster with me, we put him in a box and he went in the garden there was never any mention of binning him!!!!

my moms pets were left at the vets after being PTS but my george came home and we buried him in the garden of my moms house with pics of the other animals hed lived with so he didnt get lonely :(

i can beleive people bin animals :cry::cry::cry:

hate to say it but when my first rabbit died it was mid summer and the ground was like rock - so he 'lay in state' for a few days while I said goodbye to him, cried etc, then I had to put him in the bin, although I put him in a nice box in the bin. I try not to think about it - they are gone after all - it's just their body. I always keep the body a few days and look at it and sigh over it and cry over it, then I have to put it in the bin - I can't dig holes in solid clay :(

i know its not right but ive had put a newborn bunny in the bin.it was winter n too hard too dig a hole so i wrapped her in a blanket n tied a bow around her n placed her in gently.x

Mine are buried in the garden with a rose planted on top of them. When/ if we move, we will take the rose bushes with us. Every time I look at the roses, it reminds me of my beautiful buns - I even talk to them!:oops:

We've always burried our pets. I like having somewhere to remember them. The bin seems rather heartless......I didn't even do that for the mice that kept eating my pea seeds.

This question was asked on another forum I belong to(guinea pig) ages ago and most of the people replied that they put their dead guinea pigs in the bin.
Sallyx

We've always burried our pets. I like having somewhere to remember them. The bin seems rather heartless......I didn't even do that for the mice that kept eating my pea seeds.

I did put a dead bunny in the bin once, because it was the weekend and the vets didn't open until Monday (and I had a small garden at the time, so couldnt bury her). I agree with Chloe, it's just a body and having a burial is more for our benefit.

On the other hand, I don't think it's legal to put a dog in the bin, but I'm not sure :?

I wouldnt like to put them in the bin but I dont think it would really make a difference if I had to for some reason...they are dead after all...as long as they are well remembered thats what counts

I always pay for cremation, especially if I dont know what the rabbit died from. Binning them seems very disrespectful, I could not bring myself to do it.

Mine are buried in the garden with a rose planted on top of them. When/ if we move, we will take the rose bushes with us. Every time I look at the roses, it reminds me of my beautiful buns - I even talk to them!:oops:

Thats a lovely idea if you have a garden.

A couple of my cats were buried in my parents garden without me seeing them but the rest were disposed of by the vets, I didn't want to see their bodies once they'd gone as I didn't want to remember them like that

aww in my opinion i think its disgusting how some people dispose of their dead pet :( my neighbours daughter took a cat home last year when it got hit by a car it died and instead of at least trying to find the owners they threw it in a bag and slung it in the bin :(

all my hamsters where buried in the garden and my guinea pigs, rabbits and cats have been cremated

Thats awful I could never just throw my pet in the bin, mine will be buried somewhere in the garden I should think x

Back