• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny Heartbeat U/d Help Please

Becki xX

Warren Veteran
You know you can see their heartbeat through their fur, Is it supposed to be a regular beat? :? X

Last edited:
I don't know what rhythm their heart makes :? Hope someone can help though. I have noticed Bobbin's through his coat too, not noticed what rhythm it is.

It should be regular ie not fast for few beats then slower for a few beats
(Arrhythmia)
The normal heart rate for a Rabbit is 130-325 bpm

Janex :)

I found Caspians heart was Arrhythmic when he was unwell. I had never noticed it until then, it was very fast but then would seem to 'miss' a couple of beats.

I found Caspians heart was Arrhythmic when he was unwell. I had never noticed it until then, it was very fast but then would seem to 'miss' a couple of beats.

Like Jens is. Its totally out of sinc, and like you say I've only noticed since she got poorly. Thanks for replies folks, Not sure there is anything I can do about this? What does it mean? X

Last edited:
Is there any possibility it's because she is anxious (not being able to see)? If so, I wonder if it will correct itself overtime as she becomes accustomed to the loss of her sight?

I'd take her to the vet for a thorough exam though Becki as you are clearly very worried. Sending hugs x

Is there any possibility it's because she is anxious (not being able to see)? If so, I wonder if it will correct itself overtime as she becomes accustomed to the loss of her sight?

I'd take her to the vet for a thorough exam though Becki as you are clearly very worried. Sending hugs x

Thanks for your reply Thea. I don't think its to do with her being anxious or anything to be honest, because its not her breathing thats like this, just her heartbeat. Also, its all the time, rather than just when shes stressed or something. Its very strange. Shes frequently at the vets, but I've only just started noticing this, so will be mentioning it next time we're there. Wondering what this means really, and whether or not it would be a factor to consider in making 'the decision' :( X

If she is in Cardiac Arrythmia secondary to her chronic Respiratory tract problems ( chronic Pasteurellosis can result in cardiomyopathy) then she does need additional treatment. I would contact your Vet for advice as *if* Jen is now showing cardiac symptoms she will eventually begin to 'feel' more poorly

Janex

If she is in Cardiac Arrythmia secondary to her chronic Respiratory tract problems ( chronic Pasteurellosis can result in cardiomyopathy) then she does need additional treatment. I would contact your Vet for advice as *if* Jen is now showing cardiac symptoms she will eventually begin to 'feel' more poorly

Janex

I think shes already feeling quite poorly some days Jane :( What kind of additional treatment would this be? Am going to take her to the vets tomorrow & see what she thinks :(

I think shes already feeling quite poorly some days Jane :( What kind of additional treatment would this be? Am going to take her to the vets tomorrow & see what she thinks :(

It really depends on what is actually going on
If her heart is enlarged then eventually she'll get a build up of fluid in her chest/abdomen so a diuretic would help her feel more comfortable. Also a med to lower her blood pressure would take some of the strain of her heart and Kidneys
But as I say, it very much depends on the precise problem. Usually various diagnostics are needed including an U/S of the heart

Janex

It really depends on what is actually going on
If her heart is enlarged then eventually she'll get a build up of fluid in her chest/abdomen so a diuretic would help her feel more comfortable. Also a med to lower her blood pressure would take some of the strain of her heart and Kidneys
But as I say, it very much depends on the precise problem. Usually various diagnostics are needed including an U/S of the heart

Janex

Thanks Jane, We actually think there is something else going on so...:( Will keep you updated X

Back